VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    My LG BD610 bluray will play SRT, but doesnt play the Sub/Idx that I make from the SRT with TXT2VOBSUB. I'm playing xvids off a flash drive via USB port.
    Because SRT are hard to read (small and white), I tried making sub/idx with TXT2VOBSUB. The player gives me an option to play the subs, but they dont appear. I tried outputting each of the Txt2VOBSUB options (For PC, DVD, DVD+PC).
    I've made Sub/idx before and they worked on my old dvd player, so it seems like they should work on a bluray that plays more formats.
    Any suggestions, aside from combining the xvid with the srt with Avisub? I dont want to change the xvid files.
    Last edited by spiritgumm; 28th Jun 2013 at 18:41. Reason: qualify LG player wont read sub/idxs I make, but will read the format
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check the specifications of your particular LG model to ascertain if it does support external IDX/Sub subtitles. Maybe it only supports text based as external?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The manual list Vobsub among the compatible types when playing from disc or USB:

SubRip (.srt / .txt), SAMI (.smi),
    SubStation Alpha (.ssa/.txt),
    MicroDVD (.sub/.txt), VobSub
    (.sub), SubViewer 1.0 (.sub),
    SubViewer 2.0 (.sub/.txt), TMPlayer
    (.txt), DVD Subtitle System (.txt)
    Quote Quote  
  4. I would try converting the .srt to .ssa with either Subtitle Edit or Aegisub setting a font size for the style and see if the player supports that
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    is .ssa compatible on typical divx-playing dvd players as well?
    Quote Quote  
  6. if your BD player is DiVX certified, DiVX has free subtitle muxing utility (Which I never tried personally), and just for the knowledge base DivX file ends with .divx extensions. Or you can hard-burn srt/ssa into avi-xvid.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have two lg's and all they support is srt
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Quotes from another master.
    I have two lg's and all they support is srt
    aedipuss,
    Would you please decribe in detials? Which container? Which subtitles srt/ssa/sub-idx? and How?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by enim View Post
    if your BD player is DiVX certified, DiVX has free subtitle muxing utility (Which I never tried personally), and just for the knowledge base DivX file ends with .divx extensions. Or you can hard-burn srt/ssa into avi-xvid.
    as I wrote already, I dont want to change the XVID file by combining with the srt file,
    and the manual lists several compatible subtitle formats.
    aedipuss, did you discover your LG players only read srt from experimenting, or because that's what your manual says?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    spiritgumm - My experience is that while lots of device say that they play SUB/IDX fine, in reality they don't support it 100%. SRT is really the safest format to use because everything that can play external subs will support it.

Your desire to "combine" the xvid and subs files is at odds with your desire to "not change" the xvid file. This is akin to saying that you want to go to Times Square without leaving your house. enim's suggestion will just put your video, audio and subs in a Divx compatible container. It won't re-encode them. It's like pouring milk from one container to another and then going all nuts that your milk has "changed" because it's in a new container now.

It's unlikely that this solution will work. Few BD players are Divx certified any more. I think that nobody wants to pay for the certification, but that's just a guess. Probably the best solution would be to convert your subs to SRT format via OCR and name them the same as your video file before the dot. For example if your video is named MYVIDEO.AVI then your subtitles need to be named MYVIDEO.SRT.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Your desire to "combine" the xvid and subs files is at odds with your desire to "not change" the xvid file.
    I've said I dont want to combine (via muxing into divx extension) the subs with the avi, so I dont know what you mean. I dont think you read my post, since you're asking me to convert to srt which I indicated I already have.

Btw, I could use Avisub to combine the srt into the xvid. To make it accessible to players that are not divx-certified, you can simply change the new AVI from divx to xvid with a FourCC changer (and manually change the divx file extension to .avi). That will work on the LG blu player. However, it does change the AVI file specs. Also, it plays back alittle oddly on some PC ware.

Btw, my reply to enim's suggestion was hardly "going all nuts." Do you have to be provocative in every post? I'd really appreciate it if you please dont reply to any of my threads.

I've added sub/idx and srt files into AVI folders before, and they've played okay on a Pioneer and Philips dvd players. All I'm asking is why this isnt working on my LG bluray which says it's compatible. I wasnt sure if TXT2Vobsub might not be producing compatible files, and perhaps there's a better program to convert srt to sub/idx.
    Last edited by spiritgumm; 27th Jun 2013 at 09:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is the model number of your LG player? And have you checked the manual to see just what formats it actually supports. I do think it would help everyone here if you provided this basic information so a meaningful answer can be crafted..
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    What is the model number of your LG player? And have you checked the manual to see just what formats it actually supports. I do think it would help everyone here if you provided this basic information so a meaningful answer can be crafted..
    It's model BD610.
    You previously asked about formats and I reported what the Manual shows (see post #2 and #3). Are you inquiring about files other than subtitles??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On page 9 of the manual there are a number of general caveats

* This player supports UTF-8 files even it
    contains Unicode subtitle contents. This
    player can not support the pure Unicode
    subtitle files.

* Depending on the types of file or ways of
    recording, it may not play back.

snip

* To be play back a movie file, movie file
    name and Subtitle file name must be the
    same.
    The last one refers to subtitle file singular so maybe as a separate subtitle file it only supports SRT or Text and not Sub/IDX combo.

The earlier reference to the range of subs supported, I suspect refers to video files with embedded subs but even there caveats would exist. Quite a number of pure media players have these limitations. The Popcorn C200 for instance is the reverse it will support sub/idx as additional files but not if embedded in a mkv file. You need to get a definitive answer from the manufacturer that you can play a video file with accompanying idx/sub file companions. The manual is a bit confusing on this score.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    netmask56, I read the manual before and none of the caveats on page 9 refer to subtitle playback. I do know the file names all need to be the same.
    I dont believe LG requires Vobsubs to be "embedded" with the AVI file for 2 reasons. This would mean using a Divx extension and the player is not Divx-certified. As mentioned before, I could use that method and simply change it's "type" to xvid with a fourcc changer. But the Xvid filesize would be larger and other specs probably changed, PC playback potentially buggy, and I wanted to avoid all that.

The other reason is I checked a different AVI with sub/idx and the blu player did recognize the subs. So the format is readable, and again leads me to suspect compatibility issues with Vobsubs produced by Txt2Vobsub.

Is there another way to convert srt to sub/idx? Or a similar subtitle format to sub/idx that's recognized by standalone and PCs?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Is there another way to convert srt to sub/idx?
    Subtitle Edit
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Is there another way to convert srt to sub/idx?
    Subtitle Edit
    Subtitle Edit doesn't convert text base subs to graphics subs,just the other way around,easySUP will convert srt to sub/idx
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by spiritgumm View Post
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    It's model BD610.
    You previously asked about formats and I reported what the Manual shows (see post #2 and #3). Are you inquiring about files other than subtitles??

despite what you think it says, only srt is supported.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Subtitle Edit doesn't convert text base subs to graphics subs,just the other way around,easySUP will convert srt to sub/idx
    Actually Subtitle Edit can output several different subtitle formats including Sub/idx from an SRT file. The new files work on the PC, but still not on my blu player. I'll give Easysup a shot.

Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    but it played the Sub/Idx for another AVI...
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by spiritgumm View Post
    I wasnt sure if TXT2Vobsub might not be producing compatible files...
    That's what I'd suspect too. I'd use SubtitleCreator for the job. I think you can take the VobSubs you already have and open them in SubResynch and then resave them as IDX/SUB as it's been known to fix screwy VobSubs. That's if your player really can play separate VobSubs. I'm sure johns0's suggestion is good too, but I've never used SubtitleEdit.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by spiritgumm View Post
    Actually Subtitle Edit can output several different subtitle formats including Sub/idx from an SRT file. The new files work on the PC, but still not on my blu player. I'll give Easysup a shot.

Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    but it played the Sub/Idx for another AVI...
    Ya,you are correct,just saw it in the export mode,easysup is a better choice.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote