VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I tried adding it with a program that adds subtitles to AVI files, but it said "h264 detected", and couldn't add. Since I am a video n00b, even searching, I couldn't make out what exactly a "h264" file is. What program do I use and how do I add them?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It just means the video portion of your video file was encoded using the h.264 codec.

Is the video to which you're trying to add the .ass subtitles an .MKV? (Run the video through a utility like MediaInfo, if you're in doubt. It'll give you more information about the video.) It sounds like you're trying to use AVIDemux to add the subtitles (by hardsubbing). It can do it, even though it'll complain about the video stream being h.264/AVC - but I'm not sure AVIDemux supports much of the effects and such an ASS subtitle set can use (based upon my own use of AVIDemux to hardsub ASS subtitles).

If you want to add the .ASS subtitles to an .MKV as soft (switchable on/off) subtitles, just add them to the MKV using mkvmergegui.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I just wanted to point out, in case it's relevant (it may not be), that support for ASS format (also known as Sub Station Alpha) subtitles is poor on hardware playback devices.

Geez, who came up with that name anyway? Beevis and Butthead?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Is the video to which you're trying to add the .ass subtitles an .MKV? (Run the video through a utility like MediaInfo, if you're in doubt. It'll give you more information about the video.)

I just downloaded MediaInfo, and it said "Matroska", so yeah, I assumed it's a MKV video.

If you want to add the .ASS subtitles to an .MKV as soft (switchable on/off) subtitles, just add them to the MKV using mkvmergegui.

Yeah, that's what I was wanting to do. I downloaded that program and it works a lot better than AVIDemux, I managed to add the subs in now, thank you for the rec.

I just wanted to point out, in case it's relevant (it may not be), that support for ASS format (also known as Sub Station Alpha) subtitles is poor on hardware playback devices.

By "hardware playback devices" you mean external devices such as mp4 players? If so that won't be a problem, the video I am adding the "Beavis and Butthead" format in, I plan on playing on my computer only. Anyway thanks both of you for the quick replies, I managed solved my problem for now.
    Quote Quote