VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Everyone,

I am trying to convert an MP4 video from mono to stereo. Can you please offer any advice on how to do this?

I know it's possible, but I have completely forgotten how to do this over the years
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do a search here for mono to stereo and you will get a lot of threads asking for what you want.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Do a search here for mono to stereo and you will get a lot of threads asking for what you want.
    I have done that, but I get like a million threads that don't have the answers I am looking for. Judging by your helpful answer (sarcasm), I guess I should use a more reliable search engine than the one this site like this: site:forum.videohelp.com mono to stereo on Google

and for the future uninitiated: here is a link: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aforum.videohelp.com+mono+to+stereo&oq=site%3Afo...d=210&ie=UTF-8

Of course again, no mention of specific tools for my specific problem in my google search. There are results that are close, but not quite what I am looking for.

Truth is, I have been looking for answers, but a lot of them do not apply to what I am doing. I already have an mp4 video file that is recorded in mono and I want to extract the audio and video to two separate files and convert the mono to stereo (dual mono technically speaking), and then recombine them back into an mp4 video. I just need to know the tools since it has been over 6 years since I have played with video editing and a lot of things have changed since then.
    Last edited by technofox01; 24th Sep 2013 at 23:07.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I looked through a few links and found what you needed but since you didn't look enough then it seems like you don't want to do any searching and want someone to explain it to,load the file into audacity and edit save as stereo,read more on how to mux whatever audio format you chose.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I looked through a few links and found what you needed but since you didn't look enough then it seems like you don't want to do any searching and want someone to explain it to,load the file into audacity and edit save as stereo,read more on how to mux whatever audio format you chose.
    What were your search terms for that one?

I do appreciate the help by the way

I tried handbrake, but apparently it was recorded mono as stereo, so I only get the right channel instead of both. It seems I will have to do right Mono only and then convert the audio back to stereo (dual mono). Do you think Audacity can do that????

I looked at Audicity's description and it seems it doesn't have the capabilities that I am looking for Can believe I am so close and yet so far away to getting this video the way I want it.

EDIT: FML, I just tried the *Mono* option on Handbrake and ran a test, it fixed the lopsided audio issue. Sorry for the sarcasm earlier and thank you for your help. I am going to download Audicity, since it will help out my music collection
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by technofox01 View Post
    I have done that, but I get like a million threads that don't have the answers I am looking for. Judging by your helpful answer (sarcasm)...
    Well, then, perhaps in the future you could actually specify what you were looking for before giving stupid bitchy answers when it isn't answered to your liking?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Originally Posted by technofox01 View Post
    I have done that, but I get like a million threads that don't have the answers I am looking for. Judging by your helpful answer (sarcasm)...
    Well, then, perhaps in the future you could actually specify what you were looking for before giving stupid bitchy answers when it isn't answered to your liking?
    Rob I am not sure who you are trying to scold. I used the search terms for exactly what I am looking for m4v mono to stereo. Checkout the google search link that I had posted. It's in plain English what I was trying to search for.

The end result was solved by myself using a setting in handbrake by setting a drop down box setting to mono. My faulty assumption was that the original recording was done mono right, it was actually done in stereo with a recorded right mono channel. Therefore I was converting it from stereo to stereo unbeknownst to myself. When I just set the switch to Mono, my problem was solved. Next time I should just dick around with settings a little more before seeking help.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi, I've never used this site before, but I'd like to revive this old thread just to say that it always pisses me off when I google something, find a forum addressing the topic I'm searching for, only to find someone answering by saying to google it. Either answer it or **** off. By not being informative and instead bitching about people not googling, YOU ARE ******* UP GOOGLE SEARCH RESULTS.
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    Hi, I've never used this site before, but I'd like to revive this old thread just to say that it always pisses me off when I google something, find a forum addressing the topic I'm searching for, only to find someone answering by saying to google it. Either answer it or **** off. By not being informative and instead bitching about people not googling, YOU ARE ******* UP GOOGLE SEARCH RESULTS.
    ^ Well, and FWIW, we must blame Google itself as well
    The damn thing keeps getting suckier and suckier each day -_-
    Just as an example, regarding Doom9's forum, the pesky search engine gives more "relevance" to the pages served via httpS

Which is very-annoying, considering that the TLS implementation on that site is b0rked since ages ago
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 29th Jul 2014 at 04:44. Reason: add quote
    Quote Quote  
  10. Try foobar2000. It has a donzen more effects and file conversion ability, including channel upmix, high pass, low pass...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    Hi, I've never used this site before, but I'd like to revive this old thread just to say that it always pisses me off when I google something, find a forum addressing the topic I'm searching for, only to find someone answering by saying to google it. Either answer it or **** off. By not being informative and instead bitching about people not googling, YOU ARE ******* UP GOOGLE SEARCH RESULTS.
    Actually, if you stayed around here and regularly read stuff instead of posting once in a blue moon and going away, you'd understand that by far things like this thread are the exception rather than the rule. Doom9 was far worse about the "do a search" type responses when I used to care enough to go there years ago. We generally tolerate people asking the same thing over and over again pretty well.

You generally can't get really good results with mono to stereo conversions using automated tools. A lot depends on what exactly you are looking for and how flexible you are with the output you get. If you really and truly want to get into this kind of thing there are some examples I've heard of old mono songs that people have used audio editors to turn into really good stereo versions, but you have to be really experienced with audio editors. If you're just interested in converting old movie soundtracks, honestly there's nothing to be gained by this and you're just wasting your time trying to do this rather than just accepting the old mono soundtracks for what they are.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Use the advanced search feature at this web site. Search for "mono stereo" (without the quotes) and Title Only.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s1.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	26647

Click image for larger version

Name:	s2.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	26648
    Quote Quote