+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. hello anyone know how to make this effect

http://vimeo.com/91005949

min: 00:30 ; 00:48 ; 00:55 ; etc

I've seen many videos from different publishers this same effect,
    I think it is an default effect, and not handmade, but i never found in any software, does anyone know?
    Quote Quote  
  2. It might be part of some sports analysis software, but it can be done pretty easily in any NLE. It's just an overlay semi-transparent graphic, with rotating red dot. You can make one with alpha channel and re-use it as an overlay for any footage. You can hand track it , or use motion tracking so it "follows" the player of interest. You can scale it, rotate it in the x-axis (so it lies level with the ground plane), and you can adjust it so that it "fits" any camera angle or zoom
    Quote Quote  
  3. Though any NLE with a motion tracker can do it, I doubt if any will give a correct angle-of-tilt for that circle (or is that circle fixed at certain angle?)
    I also suspect that it is some sort of specialized software as I have saw footage around the world showing similar thing.
    Perhaps someone from the TV broadcast company should know it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. For shots like in his example from soccer, football (american football), hockey etc... the angle for the circle will usually be fixed per shot. When it switches to auxillary cameras, they might be in different positions , elevations, in the stadium - so the angle might change - but typically it will still be fixed for that scene (e.g. camera A's ground plane might be rotated 50 degress with respect to the x-axis; camera B might be 41 degress etc....)

Only in non traditional camera shoots, e.g. you might have an orbiting/ flying camera, 360 degrees shots - where the replay can rotate in all each x,y, z axis. That you would have to track more than simple x,y coordinates
    Quote Quote  
  5. These things are on so briefly, I would definitely go the manual route poisondeathray suggests.

Create your animation -- white circle with red dot as its own full-frame clip, then drop that clip onto an upper track of your timeline, tilt, key, size and position as needed.
    Quote Quote  
  6. And the benefit of doing it yourself is you can customize it.

Maybe you want a purple dot? Maybe you want a red and a blue dot, one going clockwise, the other going counter clockwise etc... Or maybe put the team logo rotating around the circle instead of a dot
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's composited from the back. American football has that too. Took me a while to figure out how the players can run on top of that line.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For US football, or Olympic sports, it is composited using combination of chromakey plus screen/multiply (non-add) color merge modes.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Duplicate post
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    For US football, or Olympic sports, it is composited using combination of chromakey plus screen/multiply (non-add) color merge modes.

Scott
    It's coming in from the back though, right? (Below the grass)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Depends. Looks like the grass is painted. Or the water has something projected on it, etc.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depends. Looks like the grass is painted. Or the water has something projected on it, etc.

Scott
    I've never actually tried to do this kind of thing, but I have pondered it. I came to the conclusion that since the graphic has to be under the feet, and there's no way to make a layer between the feet and grass, that the graphic has to come from below the grass.

The $64,000 question is what composite mode(s) are required. I'm thinking it should be a mix designed to turn the grass the color they want where the graphic appears.

However, I notice the ring does not change color when passing over the white lines. So it's not a mix like I was thinking. So looks like what you say is true, it's some kind of screen or overlay from the back.

I also noticed the angle is not quite perfect. If you look at the white half-circles painted on the field, the arcs are slightly different.

That's got to be a tedious job. Some editor has to hurry up and slide a ring around on screen before the replay can run. Maybe they track it to the player, but what if the ball is stolen by the opposing team during the edit? You think there's a tracking beacon on their shirts? Or shoes?

Enquiring minds want to know.
    Last edited by budwzr; 16th Jul 2014 at 18:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, looks like a screen. The footage is screened against the graphic. Graphic is on lower track. Scott, I think you nailed it. My example graphic did not change color, nor did it change the color of the white line.

Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I've never actually tried to do this kind of thing, but I have pondered it. I came to the conclusion that since the graphic has to be under the feet, and there's no way to make a layer between the feet and grass, that the graphic has to come from below the grass.
    I just had a quick look, but it seems to me like a simple overlay on top with opacity adjusted, no blend mode

The graphic "cuts" through the players' legs in some shots, so it's not "below" (ie. and there isn't 2 copies of the video, one rotoed on top, otherwise the legs would be intact)

Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Yeah, looks like a screen. The footage is screened against the graphic. Graphic is on lower track. Scott, I think you nailed it. My example graphic did not change color, nor did it change the color of the white line.
    "Screen" blending mode with the graphic underneath would make the red dot disappear too much on lighter scenes, unless they made it uncessarily complicated with 2 overlays, one for the circle one for the red dot with different blending modes
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    budwzr, it looks like you had too many beers and took a whiz on the ball field. Interesting graphic you went with....

Sorry, I don't have anything to contribute to this thread.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The "colored blob" is a test image only. A colored gradient that I chose so I can see any anomalies. Note that it is opaque against the grass, but lets the white line through. Which is what the original circle does. Kapeesh?

You guys got your thinkin caps on?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    The graphic "cuts" through the players' legs in some shots, so it's not "below" (ie. and there isn't 2 copies of the video, one rotoed on top, otherwise the legs would be intact)
    Oh, it does? Then you're right, it's just an add on top. But that's not the correct way to do it. I guess they mickeymoused it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Scott
    Hey man, can you elucidate us on this a little more? That description is kinda "squirrelly", Hahaha. I've been wondering about this type of composite for a while.

Really piques my curiosity.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    budwzr, it looks like you had too many beers and took a whiz on the ball field.
    If that's a whiz, I must have some nasty cancer.
    Quote Quote  
  20. The "proper" way to do it (in American Football.)

http://www.si.com/nfl/2013/07/18/nfl-birth-yellow-line

Money quote:

Sensors were placed on the three main game cameras (at midfield and the two 20 yard lines), capturing the pan, tilt and zoom movements of those cameras 30 times a second. A three-dimensional, virtual model of each field had to be constructed, with the exact measurements of the crown of the field (the center of the field is always higher, for drainage, than the sides and ends, but the precise levels vary in each venue). An exhaustive color palette had to be produced on the fly as the game progressed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ah ha, so its all automated. That has to be top secret stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  22. For the simple version / overlay method, I'm thinking not all editors have control over x-axis rotation. Simple editors usually only z-axis rotation

You need an editor with x-axis rotation control, or you won't be able to have the overlay aligned to the ground plane throughout different camera angle shots
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, you need 2.5 D or better space.

That swats a lot of of the little flies off the fence.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Yes, easy to do in AE, hitfilm , blender etc... but I'm thinking more traditional NLE might not be able to adjust it easily. (you can premake several versions your graphic at different angles to the ground plane, but that's a PITA not having complete control of it within the editor)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Peed, are you one of the big green flies remaining? Hehehe.... I'm still here on the fence too. Hahaha, but I don't think FCP users make the cut.

Oops, went off on a tangent.

Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Hey Peed, are you one of the big green flies remaining? Hehehe.... I'm still here on the fence too. Hahaha, but I don't think FCP users make the cut.

Oops, went off on a tangent.

Stay on your meds

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's not the compositing that is hard here, it is the chromakeying & the tracking (which is why they needed to do all that pre-production work to make the perspective and key color swatches exact).

Still example via Photoshop from something I recently did (the shoot, not the graphic): Click image for larger version

Name:	Marker_Overlay_Example.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	26456

In the example, there are 3 layers.
    1. Bottom is standard background layer
    2. Middle is alpha graphic with 3D perspective applied and Overlay Blend mode used (~85% opacity)
    3. Top is background layer but with floor/court/grass/base chromakeyed out

Scott

P.S. And YES, that is Kym Johnson!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That looks great Scott. The floor has a minimum of two different colors, how did you manage to key both out at the same time and stay clean? Could you post a couple of seconds of motion scene to see it in action?

Budwzr I was just joking because the graphic shape looks like a puddle on the field. You would've had to drink a whole keg to make that....
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  29. Keying out 2 colors is not difficult, but the floor's color is close to skin color and that creates problem.
    Tried the "Select>Color Range" in PS CS6 using the image above... I guess quite a bit of manual work is required to get the mask right
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's not all that clean if you look closely. Yes, this particular floor would be a pain to work with. I used ~6 passes adding colors to a garbage mask. The area around her right leg was the worst, contrast-wise. I just had this clip handy, and this was a proof of concept thing anyway.

Sorry, don't have time to do a similar bit with motion.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!