VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is a good program to rotate a video?
    Need to rotate it 90 degrees clockwise, without affecting the equality or size of the video?
    Need an easy to use program.

Any free ones as well?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What format (codec) of video? VirtualDub or AVISynth can do that for AVI type video. But you may have to resize/crop/re-encode it as the dimensions may be wrong for most uses.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    redwudz, they are avi for the videos off my digicam and .mov for videos off my iPhone.
    Which programs are good for mov?

Also, what are good splitter and joining programs for avi videos?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like the Avidemux program Baldrick mentioned also works for MOV files. It should work for cutting and joining files. The files will have to be the same format, etc., to join. VirtualDub can also do this with MOV video if you add a plugin. Avidemux may be a bit easier.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Best to Rotate Videos and super easy! the good thing is also free...

Enjoy Guys

http://download.cnet.com/Free-Video-Flip-and-Rotate/3000-2194_4-10763530.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm, new member, asks for help, help is offered, then comes back with accolades for something that probably delivers an adware payload on install. That's weird.

AviDemux is jewel of a utility. Like a Swiss Army Knife for video. The OP missed out on some righteous advice.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Fwiw, the OP wasn't the person who came back with the other suggestion, and it appears that it is the best solution.
    There was a bunch of bloatware included, but I was able to de-select it all during install. The result appeared to be about the same as AVI Demux, though I had to wing it on how to use the AVI Demux (added the rotation filter).
    But the file size was a larger change from the original that with the Free Video Flip and Rotate one. Perhaps they both re-encoded, but the free one better? Not sure. Again, quality seemed about the same, but that was just with one, poor quality video. But both worked.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Instead rotating video, rotate display (physically or virtually by using correct filter during watching), to rotate video by 90 degrees re-encoding is required and quality loss is unavoidable (also size will change).
    There is no filter that can rotate video in lossless way (even if in theory this should be possible as is in case for example lossless JPG transformations).
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  11. I don't have a iPhone but don't they come with some kind of instruction telling you how to take photographs and video without getting a upside down or sideways photo or sideways video?

I am still getting emails with sideways photos from iPhone people even though those phones have been out for years.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote