VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm basically wondering if I can stick with Home Premium, or if I'm going to need the XP mode available in the Ultimate Edition. I just need to know if people have found the following A/V software to work okay in W7:

VirtualDub (with x264vfw)
    AVStoDVD
    Avanti
    WinFF
    ffdshow
    ffmpeg
    Audacity
    Imgburn

Input much appreciated. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. VirtualDub (with x264vfw) Works fine.
    AVStoDVD Don't know
    Avanti Don't know
    WinFF Works fine.
    ffdshow Works fine.
    ffmpeg Works fine.
    Audacity Don't know.
    Imgburn Works fine.

Windows 7 has been around long enough so that any software that may have had problems, would now have been fixed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVStoDVD works
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have those and other legacy software running perfectly on Win 7, 64 bit.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You folks are awesome. Thanks a bunch!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You may as well bite the bullet and plunge in; XPs death countdown has started by M/Soft. If you are going to do it, do it right and get Ultimate. You can configure permissions, registry and system far more.
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9226023/Microsoft_starts_XP_retirement_countdow...?taxonomyId=89
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Those programs will run, but you can get more problems with win7. They moved away from backward compatibility to a large extent, which they're going to really do with windows 8. This has been a big problem for freeware coders . Winff, for example, still isn't win7 compatible. It's written in an open source Pascal that isn't.

Specifically, Microsoft tech support recommends that you not use any 3rd party codec / splitter packs that modify your registry to point the whole system away from directx et al. Ffdshow is one of those.

I won't use any of those codecs/splitters that bugger up the registry, and programs that don't need them work better. PLus I don't worry about conflicts. Avstodvd was the last program I had that used them and I yanked it. If I want to make a DVD, which I haven't done for a while, I'll probably use avidemux or something similal as a front end for dvdstyler.

I don't mean to dissuade you from win7. Microsoft may still release updates for it but technically they don't support it anymore. Windows 7 isn't the resource hog that Vista is either. I know a couple of tech support people who've installed win7 on 6-7 year old laptops and it runs just fine on them.
    Quote Quote