VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was thinking about purchasing the Diamond ATI Theater HD 750 USB TV Tuner to capture ATSC OTA MPEG-2 streams. I have a couple of questions if anyone has this USB device or knows of this USB device.

Since it is USB, does it allow capture of the raw MPEG-2 stream or does it reencode the stream?

Does it retain the closed captions in the captured transport stream?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Vidd View Post
    does it allow capture of the raw MPEG-2 stream or does it reencode the stream?
    What?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Vidd View Post
    I was thinking about purchasing the Diamond ATI Theater HD 750 USB TV Tuner to capture ATSC OTA MPEG-2 streams. I have a couple of questions if anyone has this USB device or knows of this USB device.

Since it is USB, does it allow capture of the raw MPEG-2 stream or does it reencode the stream?

Does it retain the closed captions in the captured transport stream?

Thanks.
    The HDHomerun Extend (also called the HDHomerun Plus) is the only ATSC PC TV tuner I have seen that can re-encode the MPEG-2 transport stream (to H.264). All other ATSC TV Tuner devices that I am aware of, including the ATI Theater HD 750 USB TV Tuner, deliver the tuned sub-channel's transport stream as is.

Since the ATI Theater HD 750 USB TV Tuner captures the transport stream as is, yes, it retains the closed captions. (They are in the GOP user data.)
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Jan 2015 at 17:41. Reason: Fix bad cut-and-paste
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!