VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Some current descriptions about x264 say it's possible to directly give it *.avi. But no matter whether I gave it an actual HD *.avi (made by CineForm from a Premiere timeline, appropriate codecs in place, I know you'd ask), or a signpost *.avi made from the same by debugmode, it flat out refuses to do anything. This is whether I use an unflavored command line x264, or simple x264 launcher GUI. Examining error codes, one line says something like "couldn't read AVS script". Taking a cue, I created a one line avisynth *.avs script with the mentioned *.avi as source, and gave this *.avs to x264. This time it all worked well. I'm now largely free of AME woes. But if I didn't read that x264 accepts *.avi directly to begin with, I would have just done the *.avs script from the start. Am I interpreting all that *.avi x264 issue incorrectly, or does x264 only ever accept *.avs??
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    What version of x264 have you been using

Since some ages ago , its source-code includes a libavformat demuxer (run "x264 --fullhelp" for details) ---

--- maybe you have a build without lavf or ffms support ???
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've used the built in ffms on occasion.
    Quote Quote  
  4. cineform isn't included in lavf or libavcodec (it's not open source, and there is no open source equivalent). You need a codec that is included in ffmpeg

eg. If you used something like huffyuv or lagarith it would accept it if it's been compiled with support for lavf or ffms . x264 doesn't use vfw codecs (lavf and ffmpeg run independent of system installed codecs like cineform vfw)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    cineform isn't included in lavf or libavcodec
    It was my initial guess that the codec wasn't supported but I somehow missed the reference to cineform.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    cineform isn't included in lavf or libavcodec (it's not open source, and there is no open source equivalent). You need a codec that is included in ffmpeg
    I suppose debugmode isn't included as well. My current workflow is Premiere Pro CS5 Cineform HD timeline > export to debugmode > open notepad > create *.avs with debugmode *.avi > open simple x264 launcher (v2.04.295) > give it the *.avs > load template & encode. Can do with one less open window, but I can't have everything, eh? Task manager reports between 95-100% CPU usage, all 8 cores humming.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote