VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using DVD Decrypter to rip DVDs and I want to know what tool/s I need to remultiplex the files to include the English subtitles. The final output is going onto my iPod, not onto another DVD (I already own the DVDs). Since these are opera DVDs, I usually have several audio channels and several subtitles channels to choose from.

Nobody has done a walkthrough or given any sort of indication how to do this without sifting through dozens of useless and misdirecting posts, endorsements of apps, etc. It would be really nice if someone would explain how to do this and then bump it or sticky it, since I'm sure I'm far from the only one trying to do it. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Call me names if you wish, but...
    watching an opera on an iPod?
    Bad idea, IMNSHO.
    Richard Wagner does not deserve to be soooo mistreated.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    First of all, you should be aware that DVD Decrypter has not been updated in years now. The author was made an offer he could not refuse by a US company associated with Hollywood and forced to stop development and give them the source code. While it may well work on your opera DVDs, there are DVDs (usually by Sony) that DVD Decrypter will miserably fail on. You just need to be aware of this.

Second, remultiplex implies "no change" to the video and audio and subtitles. I don't have an iPod, but I don't think they are capable of playing DVDs. Don't you have to convert everything to MP4 for them? If I'm right, then you need help converting, not remultiplexing. If you really just want to remultiplex and the iPod can somehow play MPEG-2 video, then MuxMan is the tool I recommend.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, so if I dump DVD Decrypter as my ripper of choice, which ripper should I go to that will take the video, audio, and subtitles off of a DVD and put them into mp4 format with the least trouble?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The ipod doesn't support switchable audio tracks or switchable subtitles in mp4.

You can use dvdfab or fairuse wizard to rip from a dvd to an mp4 with one audio channel and one burned in subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    For your specific needs, I would think that Handbrake is probably the solution you are looking for. I am guessing on the subs that you will need them to be hard coded into the video as I doubt that the iPod has a way to turn them on and off. I'm assuming Handbrake can do this, but you can take a look at it to find out.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cool. I'm going to give those latter three a try and see which one works best.

I didn't mean to imply I wanted switchable subtitles; I just wanted the one audio track and the one subtitle track (embedded in the video), but I was hoping to use the outputs from DVD Decrypter to do it. That doesn't look possible any more, since DVD Decrypter is no longer supported.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Midzuki
    Call me names if you wish, but...
    watching an opera on an iPod?
    Bad idea, IMNSHO.
    Richard Wagner does not deserve to be soooo mistreated.
    Wagner deserves all the maltreatment he can get. Maybe he shouldn't have written such bloated operas to begin with.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, you have the right to prefer the stupid Italian operas
    to the German/French/English/Russian ones :P I will never be able
    to understand the composers who could not see a difference between
    a dish of spaghetti and a page of music score.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, you have the right to prefer the stupid Italian operas
    to the German/French/English/Russian ones :P I will never be able
    to understand the composers who could not see a difference between
    a dish of spaghetti and a page of music score.
    Feh. I prefer Mozart. But "stupid opera" is far more readily defined with bad treatments of Norse mythology and a lack of coherent musical thought, resulting in a meandering score with little connectivity save a pathetic excuse for "leitmotif".

But, chacun a son gout, eh?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    You can use dvdfab or fairuse wizard to rip from a dvd to an mp4 with one audio channel and one burned in subtitles.
    FairUse Wizard looks great, but I'm tired of the nag screen asking me to get the "full version" every time I want to do something that I expect to be able to do when it's labeled "freeware" on the info page. So what does the job that really DOESN'T cost anything??? How about some non-commissioned endorsements?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'd recommend the German(read: unnecessarily complicated ) method:
    convert the .VOBs to a standalone .MPG, convert the DVD subs to a usable
    idx/sub, encode to an iPod-compliant AVC with x264 && Avisynth,
    convert the audio track to a stereo mp3/aac, mux into a .mp4 with Nic's mp4box.

chacun a son gout, eh?
    I agree De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum,
    sed criticandum. Me too thinks Mozart is great, and this is the reason why
    I would not like to see him jailed in a [s:1a7ae04918]gay-[/s:1a7ae04918]i-Pod
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Me too thinks Mozart is great, and this is the reason why
    I would not like to see him jailed in a [s:49e7eea459]gay-[/s:49e7eea459]i-Pod
    Worry not... just a few weeks ago I had Mozart's opera alive and well in my voice onstage.

But while learning my roles, I like to have a few different versions on my iPod to take with me and think about... because I can't always be home to watch the DVDs, eh?

I'm going to try using DVD2AVI to make the AVI file; what's a good (free) tool to convert .SUB to .SRT? (I'm looking around for one...)
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pjb_spammable
    FairUse Wizard looks great, but I'm tired of the nag screen asking me to get the "full version" every time I want to do something that I expect to be able to do when it's labeled "freeware" on the info page. So what does the job that really DOESN'T cost anything??? How about some non-commissioned endorsements?
    The lite version is free. Or download the old full version, http://download.videohelp.com/download/FU-Setup28.exe (just don't install the advertisement toolbar ).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm working on the same thing (Massenet's Manon.) This is all on a PC.

First I tried
    1) Rip to VOB using DVD Decrypter
    2) Convert to Mp4 with Handbrake, using the subtitles option

FAIL

did not work, I could not get the subtitles. Some post somewhere suggested that I needed to crop the video to create "black bars" (since it is a letterboxed video) and then my subtitles would appear, but I couldn't get that to work.

Second, I tried
    1) Using the same VOB via DVD Decrypter
    2) "Burning in" the titles to AVI (so they are part of the video instead of a seperate layer), using VirtualDubMod and VobSub plugin.
    3) Convert AVI to Mp4 using Quicktime Pro.

worked! Some downsides, though - AVI takes up gigs and gigs of space - could not do a whole act at once.
    And, I had infuriating audio sync issues. The AVI seemed to play in sync on the PC, but then the M4V was out of sync on the iPod. Solution was to only save a small clip to AVI and tinker with the sync (essentially putting it out of sync on the PC to compensate for whatever was happening on the iPod.) You can do this in VirtualDubMod in the Audio->Interleaving dialog. Then, finally, encode the whole chunk at the same setting.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Convert AVI to Mp4 using [s:88faf81a17]Quicktime Pro.[/s:88faf81a17]
    YAMB + Nic's MP4Box should be sufficient.

AVI takes up gigs and gigs of space
    Only if you forget to select a compression method.
    Quote Quote