VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm kinda new to this but, I'm figuring that something must be wrong when i try to convert an Avi to mpeg using Tmpgenc and it says that the output file would be that big... If I change the file size to 700mb, it looks like someone is using lego bricks to make the movie, blocky as hell...

Oh, and I tried dragging and burning it in Nero, it said that the file size would be 900mb. Figured that I could make an iso and check if it worked, but when I came to the burning part it just gave me an error message saying that there was an error when encoding the file.

Anyone have an idea to how I can convert the movie and still end up at a normal file size?
    Quote Quote  
  2. First off take a look at http://www.vcdhelp.com/vcd.

This will explain how filesizes relate to movie length for VCD.

Secondly, it does sounds as if your avi file has errors. Use virtualdub to scan for errors then save a new copy of the file with file->save as avi.

Load this new file in to tmpgenc. If Tmpgenc still reports incorrect movie length, take a look at this thread:

http://www.vcdhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=115344&highlight=

it may help
    Quote Quote  
  3. I had the same problem with TMPGEnc when I was converting a Divx file to MPG. Turns out TMPGEnc was wrong and it kept converting way past the movie ending. The way I fixed it was to set the range for the encoding. There's a place in TMPGenc where you can select what part of the movie you want to convert. I just set it until the credits ran and my file became a 700MB MPG file. Perfectly viewable with excellent quality.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thx! Works pretty good now (even though it ended up at 990mb, but that doesn't matter) I'll just put it on two cd's
    Quote Quote