VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I want to burn some DVDs (copy protection disabled), and I can't seem to get a decent copy.
    The files of the DVD are on my hard drive, (folders VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS) and I have tried to burn
    them to a DVD with CloneDVD2 and DVDFab.

If I test them into my regular DVD-player, the quality and playback is fine until the last 10~15 minutes.
    It starts 'chopping', and the audio and video becomes interrupted; every 2 or 3 seconds the TV displays a still
    with a lot of pixels. The audio then plays for maybe a tenth of a second and then stops again.

I used Emtec DVD+R 16x discs, and tried to burn at maximum(?x), 8x, 4x, 2x. The DVD burner is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVRKD08RS.

What can I do?

Thanks a lot, in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Emtec are GARBAGE.
    Always use ImgBurn to burn.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Also, the outer edge of the DVD is the place most likely to have errors if you're burning the disc to full capacity. I usually try to leave about 100 to 200 megabytes of space when burning a "full" DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I tried to burn with ImgBurn, but it didn't help.
    I still get the same problem. Also tried to use another brand of DVDRs (Platinum),
    but it doesn't make a difference.

What can be the problem?

The original file is an ISO, which seems to work fine.
    The ISO is loaded in Deamontools, and then burned with Imgburn.

Or could the problem come from the DVD-writer?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Vincent44 View Post
    What can be the problem?
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Emtec are GARBAGE.
    Use decent media. Verbatim DataLife series, Taiyo Yuden. Crap media always has problems at the end (outer edge).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You don't need to load the ISO in Deamontools, Imgburn will happily burn the ISO.

Stop using crap DVD media. Go and buy verbatim discs and try again.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gotta agree with the others who have posted. If the original file plays fine, then the evidence, more and more, is pointing to crappy media. As RowMan pointed out (and jagabo reiterated), the end of the movie is nearest to the outer edge of the disc, where errors become more commonplace. This is pretty typical of El Cheapo DVD discs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. There's an old joke: Guy goes to a doctor and says, "Doc, when I turn my head to the left, it hurts." The doc replies, "Then don't turn your head to the left." So . . . . .

To test the valid theory that your discs might be failing at the outer edge, just don't use the outer edge.

DVDShrink will default to 4464 mb to prepare to burn a DVD SL (single layer) disc. However, you can set a custom target size. Set that custom size to, say, 4000 mb, shrink the file size, and burn with Imgburn.

If the last few minutes of the disc play okay, that's your workaround for using cheaper discs. If the disc still stutters, but later in the movie, use a smaller target size until you find the "sweet spot" for those discs. If that "sweet spot" gives you acceptable visual quality, you've solved your problem without additional expense (although the long term viability of your discs may be a serious consideration). If you can't find that "sweet spot," either the discs are totally useless or you might be having trouble with your burner.

Granted, as others have berated you, the best bet is to use better quality discs to start with. However, I've used what folks here call "crappy" discs for ages with minimal problems (didn't know any better when I bought them), and, in those rare cases when I do get a poor batch, I've used the above technique to burn non-critical "stuff" to those discs. And, of course, I never burn just one copy of anything that's really important to me, and additional copies are to different manufacturers' discs.

Good luck, and let us know what works for you.
    Last edited by CobraPilot; 24th Aug 2010 at 23:19. Reason: Typo
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you all for your replies.
    I bought Verbatim discs, and the problem is solved!
    It works perfectly now.
    Emtec, never again.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank YOU for the update. So many people on the boards are given advice on how to solve their problem yet never let the advice givers and other forum readers know if the problem was solved. Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    www.nomorecoasters.com for help learning more about media, and which discs are best!
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote