VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello. i'm new to bluray ripping and i have 2 questions.

1) how can i extract the untouched DTS-HD MA audio track from a bluray?
    i want to remux it in a mkv i have.
    i hear tsmuxer has some errors? or it extracts only the core? i'm confused..

2) how can i convert a 1080p mkv to 720p mkv? Does Tsmuxer do that?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    2. Nope. You must reconvert with something like vidcoder, ffcoder, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    1. Try clown_bd.
    Quote Quote  
  4. 1) Shouldn't be a problem demuxing a DTS-MA stream with tsMuxer. You have to deliberately select core only, otherwise leave that option unchecked. Rarely, tsMuxer will throw an error with LPCM (uncompressed) audio or something exotic like DTS-EX.

But again, it's rare. And usually points to a problem with the audio, not tsMuxer. As mentioned, Clown_BD can do the job, basically it's a front-end to eac3to and tsMuxer. The eac3to part can sometimes correct an audio stream that has, say, sync byte missing, sync byte discontinuity, clipping, etc.

2) Ripbot is another one that can resize an MKV.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 8th Sep 2012 at 06:22.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. thank you very much for your replies.
    Quote Quote  
  6. well, regarding the convert from 1080p to 720p.
    the only thing i wanted to do, is reduce a bit the size of a mkv, to make it fit in a DVD9.

now the audio of it is DTS

Аудио #1
    Идентификатор : 4
    Формат : DTS
    Формат/Информация : Digital Theater Systems
    Режим смешивания : Header stripping
    Идентификатор кодека : A_DTS
    Продолжительность : 1 ч. 55 м.
    Вид битрейта : Постоянный
    Битрейт : 1510 Кбит/сек
    Каналы : 2 канала
    Расположение каналов : Front: L R
    Частота : 48,0 КГц
    Битовая глубина : 24 бит
    Метод сжатия : С потерями
    Размер потока : 1,22 Гбайт (13%)
    Язык : English
    Default : Нет
    Forced : Нет

Do you think i should convert it to FLAC, instead of converting 1080p to 720p?
    I don't need much reduction of the file.. just 300-400MBs I guess..
    Ripbot does that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Flac isn't a file savings - well compared to dts I guess it is.

For the majority of folks ac3 at 640kpbs should be more than adequate - unless you are a high end audio snob that is. But if you are looking to shave off some size of the files I would rather pair down the audio a tad than lower the bitrate of the video.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  8. well, as i see in the net, FLAC reduces to 40-50% of the original size, so i think that's my answer.
    but again, I'm not sure if ripbot or something else does that..
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hello again. i have a question regarding the extract of audio DTS-HD MA.
    I used tsmuxer and i checked the audio to extract. it didn't have an option for core or not.

now I'm using clown-bd. here, i see there is an option for untouched audio and core.
    So, tsmuxer extracted the core or the untouced audio? I'm not sure.
    And IS there a difference between the core and the untouched track?
    I haven't understood..

oh, and which is the best option to convert DTS-HD MA to FLAC?
    I don't see a FLAC option in clown-bd.
    Quote Quote  
  10. it didn't have an option for core or not.
    did you select the audio stream? Normally there should be an option in the 'General track options' once a DTS-HD stream is selected,...

So, tsmuxer extracted the core or the untouced audio? I'm not sure.
    As default it extracts the untouched audio (core+ hd extension)

And IS there a difference between the core and the untouched track?
    sure, the dts core of a 7.1 dts-hd audio stream is 5.1

if you want to keep all channels (7.1) you need a decoder to handle them (ffmpeg&co only decode the core) and an encoder to encode the stream, easiest solution is probably eac3to (https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to/How_to_Use), if you own the ArcSoft Decoder that it requires to decode all channels. If you aim for 5.1 Audio, ffmpeg should be fine.

Cu Selur

Ps.: No clue about clown-bd, never used it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by selur
    sure, the dts core of a 7.1 dts-hd audio stream is 5.1
    Is that true all of the time? What about movies like lord of the rings that had a 6.1 ex dts track? At least I'm pretty sure my lotr ee dvds have the 6.1 dts track. Point being there are 6.1 sd dts tracks out there.

Would there be occasions where there are 6.1 cores? I understand they'll still be sd audio of course but more than 5.1.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  12. the core of a dts-hd stream should always be 5.1 since it's ment for backward compatibility for older devices that can only handle 5.1.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    the core of a dts-hd stream should always be 5.1 since it's ment for backward compatibility for older devices that can only handle 5.1.
    Thats understandable but there are 6.1 dvds that play on normal 5.1 amps.

Sorry not trying to be difficult here but just curious as to why some wouldn't extract out to the highest sd audio available. I do realize not all movies with an sd dts track have a 6.1 mix but I would think for those with at least a 6.1 setup would find that feature useful.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    if you want to keep all channels (7.1) you need a decoder to handle them (ffmpeg&co only decode the core) and an encoder to encode the stream, easiest solution is probably eac3to (https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to/How_to_Use), if you own the ArcSoft Decoder that it requires to decode all channels. If you aim for 5.1 Audio, ffmpeg should be fine.

Cu Selur
    thanks..
    Lost you a bit there..
    the audio i want to convert is DTS 2.0 (the characteristics are in a previous post of mine above).
    So, i should extract it from the mkv, convert it with eac3to, and then remux it back in the mkv?
    Quote Quote  
  15. afaik the standard only allows a 5.1 core for 7.1 dts-hd streams,... so if you know of a 7.1 dts-hd which contains more than a 5.1 core please tell the source,...

So, i should extract it from the mkv, convert it with eac3to, and then remux it back in the mkv?
    that would be a way, since the audio is not 7.1 ffmpeg should also be able to handle it,... (iirc eac3to might also be able to do the whole thing)
    Last edited by Selur; 9th Sep 2012 at 17:14.
    Quote Quote