VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. A friend shot some video for a project of mine with a Canon XM2/GL2 in widescreen. Admittedly this is faux widescreen but it worked fine with the MPEG clips she gave me.
    Then I asked for the files as AVI as I wanted to make some smaller clips and out takes from them.
    These files arrived squished into a 4:3 aspect ratio for some reason. Properties says they are in fact 720x576 - but of course so is widescreen, the pixels are just a different size.
    So I have tried to resize in Virtual dub, and I can do so but then I end up with a video that is 720 x 405.
    So I think I need a method of changing the aspect ratio of the actual pixels so I end up with a valid 16:9 AVI file.
    Would appreciate any help.
    Tools I have available are VDub, TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5, Magix Video Pro X
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Make an avi with 16:9 resolution/frame size and 1:1 display aspect ratio and it will work best on most systems.

But you can change aspect ratio on avi divx/xvid with mpeg4 modifier.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks Baldrick. I amnot entirley sure what kind of AVI it is so dont know if mpeg4 modifier will work. Will give it a go. As for your suggestion of making a new avi with those ratios, how would you go about that> TMPGEnc does not give me those options separately. Here is what is available:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ar1.jpg
Views:	3320
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	10599
    Quote Quote  
  4. Are you making a DVD? Or a Divx/Xvid AVI? If DVD, leave the frame size at 720x576 set the source aspect ratio to Pixel 16:11 (PAL 16:9) and set the output AR to 16:9 Display.
    Quote Quote  
  5. MediaCoder is my friend

Click image for larger version

Name:	MediaCoder.jpg
Views:	2890
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	10600

But .. just wondering .. why don't you not just take the clips from the original MPEG ... and if an AVI container is your target ... transcode those clips .. avoiding one transcoding step .. and loss of quality
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well, I am doing two things - firstly a couple of clips for Vimeo and Youtube, so I guess here we dont need to be exact PAL ratios, and I may want to make an NTSC DVD a bit later. I totally agree about avoiding more transcoding, but I figured that the MPEG clips have already been transcoded, so would not want to mess with them too much, and the AVI files, although messed up in AR would be cleaner.
    The project originated on mini DV which was the captured and edited on FC Pro and so any files I have have been output from her Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  7. For upload to Youtube or Vimeo you probably want to scale to square pixel. Ie, ~856x480, ~720x400, 640x360, etc. Keep in mind that frame sizes that are integer multiples of 16 or 8 work best with most codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for all your help and suggestions so far. I feel like a proper dunce now, because the fix was as simple as this:
    Start new 16x9 project
    Import clip into timeline
    Right click on clip and select properties
    There is then the option to change AR.

Duh!!!
    Quote Quote