VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have just installed VOB2MPG 3 Pro onto my dual core laptop T7 running VISTA SP2 Ultimate (newly installed and updated with security latest updates including .net ). When I open the VOB2MPG it runs fine for the first conversion with the exception that the "play" button does not activate till 50% complete and then works fine (sound and picture). My problems start when I try to convert a second DVD in the same session. The first problem is that the computer gets very slow at opening the source files and changing file name information in VOB2MPG (holding a socket open form the previous session?) secondly when I select the source VOB files I get a "Could not start DVD - This operation is not permitted in the current domain" error message. VOB2MPG will carry out the conversion but no preview and the whole operation is very slow. Closing VOB2MPG (very slow!) and restarting starts the sequence again. In addition, just opening the program/log file, etc takes forever. I should add that my laptop has an SSD and usually opens anything super fast but when closing VOB2MPG I am forced to reboot to return to normal speed. When I run using NT I have no problems. I have attached the latest log file. Any ideas? Thanks Ray
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try copy the entire dvd video_ts folder to your hdd first and then use vob2mpg on the folder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the reply but this is exactly what I do. Most of what I copy are British TV episodes (big fan of British Mystery!) from encrypted DVD so I use DVDFab to extract the episodes individually onto my SSD drive and then use VOB2MPG to convert the VOB files. As I said, the first time through it works fine it is when I try to convert the second set of VOB files that the problems starts. Something is not closing properly. I should add that if I open VOB2MPG in Vista safe mode no slowdown and program runs properly but without preview or sound as you would expect.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Update:

So I did a clean install of Vista SP1 again but this time from a newly formatted drive then updated to SP2 and latest security updates (102 updates!). I then:
    • Updated all the system drivers using the Intel driver manager to the latest available
    • Reloaded minimal programs (anti-virus, DVDfab, DVD decryptor, DVD Shrink)
    Ran VOB2MPG in normal windows mode against VOB files on my SSD hard drive- no change! - works the first time through but then displays the "Could not start DVD - This operation is not permitted in the current domain" error message and the system goes into slow crawl. Forced closing of VOB2MPG returns the system to normal speed and reopening VOB2MPG starts the whole sequence over again.

I have tried running VOB2MPG in NT SP2 compatibilty mode and/or Administator mode with no effect.

As I stated in an ealier posting if I run in safe mode VOB2MPG runs fine with the expected exception that there is no preview. IN writing this update I have suddenly realised that I have not tried running in normal mode without pre-view so that will be my next action.

I guess I don't understand why my "domain" should have changed from my first session? and why VOB2MPG is trying to start a DVD when the files are on a hard drive and no DVD is present.

I think it might be time for "ChrissyBoy" to get involved....before I UPGRADE my system back to Windows NT!

Ray
    Quote Quote  
  5. Further update:

If I turn off preview it works OK in normal windows mode!
    Quote Quote