VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    My Sony CRT TV has an audio problem.

I have manged to fix similar problems with stereos, etc by looking around, finding a bad connection or dangling wire and putting it back in the obvious place. I'm also comfortable fixing most PC hardware.

However, I hear dire warnings of huge voltages waiting to zap me in a TV set, even if it's been off for a while.

Is it really so dangerous?
    (Since it's purely an audio problem, I don't need to touch the tube anyway.)

What precautions can I take?
    Assume that while not a qualified TV repairman, I am old enough to be responsible for my own actions, but broke enough not to want to pay someone to do it for me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. There are huge electrolytic capacitors in CRT tv's that store electricity when needed,the electricity dissipates over time.Static electricity can also be stored in the shielding.I would unplug the tv and let stand for a good day before servicing.
    Unless the speakers themselves are damaged I would not tinker with the unknown,let a qualified tech fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The very high voltages reside in two locations, inside of the high voltage cage, usually at the rear of the TV and at the side of the picture tube where the second anode high voltage cable connects to the tube. The voltages are usually in the range of 10KV to 30KV. But they generally dissipate after the unit is unplugged a few days. The lower voltage power supply can also hold some voltage in the large capacitors for a few days. Not lethal, but usually high enough current to burn the end off a metal screwdriver. Don't use a metal screwdriver near them.

But if you have no knowledge of how a TV works or how the audio system in particular works, I wouldn't try it. Most TVs use a single large PC board to contain the TV and audio circuits. Telling one part or section from another is very difficult without training. You can go to some electronics stores and pick up a 'SAMS Photofact' manual for your particular make and model of TV that gives detailed information on repair and maintenance. Or online: http://www.samswebsite.com/photofacts.html I would do this first as they aren't too expensive.

You won't see many connectors or external wiring on most newer TV circuit boards. It's possible it's a connector problem, but not likely.

But if you decide to open up the TV anyway, leave it unplugged a few days. Don't use any metal objects like screwdrivers to probe around with. Avoid the HV cage and the second anode lead to the picture tube. Use only one hand at a time, keep the other away from any metal objects or grounds. Don't touch any metal parts in the TV with a bare hand. Rubber gloves would be a good idea. Have someone there when you are doing all this.
    Quote Quote