VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have sitting on a shelf a JVC DR-MV7 that was bought new a few years ago, used about 3 dozen times (if that) and then one winter day while ejecting a disk I zapped it with some static electricity. After that the unit keeps ejecting the tray and will not even attempt to load a disk unless I really take extra time to wrangle with it and hope I get lucky. When it does load, which isn't often, play and record are fine and when I eject the disk the fun starts all over again.

I read on this form and a bit of Google searching about the loading issues inherent in some of the JVC units and the trouble being bad capacitors. I am assuming I have similar situation brought about by the static discharge, but I don't see any bulgy or leaky caps anywhere. My soldering skills are a little better than mediocre, so I can probably handle the repair but my diagnostic skills suck.

I have since replaced this unit and have several DVD recorders now, but it would be nice to have another all in one.

So, should I bother or should I scrap it?

Thanks,

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can safely scrap it with no regrets. The DR-MV7 was the beginning of JVC contracting with OEM mfrs to make their DVD recorders for them, it has little to nothing in common with the earlier classic DR-MV5 or DRM100. Those earlier models were indeed prone to seriously annoying and frequent breakdowns, however they compensated for this fragility by offering a unique recording quality that some users here deem irreplaceable at any cost. Starting with the DR-MV7, JVC dropped its special circuits and filters, got rid of its excellent flexible recording speed selector, and lost DVD-RAM compatibility. Thiose who still want or need a JVC are looking for the older 2005 models, the DR MV7 was OK when it worked but is just a garden-variety DVD/VHS combo with nothing in particular to recommend it and a couple strikes against it (age, sloppy construction).

If its DVD section is shot, get rid of it with no qualms: the only reason to hold onto it would be if the VCR still works and you think you might someday need a backup VCR. Even then, if the DVD has tanked the VCR may not be far behind anyway. There are millions of clean, indestructible Panasonic, Sharp and Mitsubishi VCRs floating around in thrift shops, Craigs List and flea markets: grab one of those for $20.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks Orsetto. I figured as much. I believe this unit is actually made by LG. My Toshiba DVD recorders do have better quality than this unit did, and much more flexible recording settings. I have some liteons too. I have 4 VCRs in back up and 2 in use, so I guess I'm good there. This is my only combo unit which is handy sometimes, but I guess really not important.

Next Thursday is bulk recycle, so I will put it out then and I'm sure the local scrap guy will grab it long before it hits a disposal truck.

Thanks!

--dES

PS. I do the troll the local thrift stores quite often and do well with finding good and low use equipment. I'd tell you where, but since I'm in No. Jersey near rte 3 and you're in Manhatten I'm not sharing
    Last edited by Des; 7th Jul 2011 at 20:09. Reason: too many mistyped words
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Des View Post
    PS. I do the troll the local thrift stores quite often and do well with finding good and low use equipment. I'd tell you where, but since I'm in No. Jersey near rte 3 and you're in Manhatten I'm not sharing
    Too late, you have competition. Whenever I drive to Microcenter in Paterson I usually do an area thrift store run.
    Quote Quote  
  5. On Tuesdays?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Des View Post
    Actually I'm in the ass end of Brooklyn with no car, so your hunting grounds are safe!

I know a lot of people find combos handy, but fixing the DR-MV7 is likely to be a real pain since your static bomb probably blew out the main microprocessor shared between DVD and VCR. If you were a hardcore tech and could figure a quick cheap repair it might be worth it, but the thing is old now: if theres any serious effort or money required just pitch it and but a new one. The Magnavox models without tuners are pretty cheap and decent for quick n dirty dubs, and the much-hated Panasonic EZ48 is actually pretty nice as long as you avoid using its tuner timer: sometimes you hit the cheap refurb lottery with this model.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Actually I'm in the ass end of Brooklyn with no car, so your hunting grounds are safe!
    Ugh, funny how that's like being a world away, even though it's probably under an hour (if you can find a time with no traffic).

I do like the idea of a combo unit exactly for doing down and dirty dubs from crappy home video footage. I have a liteon combo unit that I loaned a friend and he is not anxious to give it back, hence my reawakening the JVC.

If this itch persists I will look at one of the Magnavox units.

--dES
    Quote Quote