VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. We just finished repairing the first floor of our home as a result of Storm Sandy (yes, 15 months) and I am now setting up all my electronics. I have a JVC DR-VM80 DVD/VHS Recorder that was not exposed to the water and works fine so far, although it's remote control, RM-SDRMV80A, was destroyed. Without the remote I cannot use the DVD editing features. However, in my box of leftover old electronics from my attic (also not affected by the water), I have the remote control from an Insignia DVDR VCR Model NS-DRVCR; the Insignia's remote identifies it as 6711R1N211B. As I recall it, the Insignia unit was identical to the JVC in features, on-screen display, etc., and the remotes are virtually identical, with the exception that the Insignia has a "TV/VCR" button. I am fairly certain that they are, in fact, the same unit with a different label. Can anyone confirm that? And, more important, can anyone tell me if and how I can get the Insignia remote to work with the JVC? Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rsatria View Post
    We just finished repairing the first floor of our home as a result of Storm Sandy (yes, 15 months) and I am now setting up all my electronics. I have a JVC DR-VM80 DVD/VHS Recorder that was not exposed to the water and works fine so far, although it's remote control, RM-SDRMV80A, was destroyed. Without the remote I cannot use the DVD editing features. However, in my box of leftover old electronics from my attic (also not affected by the water), I have the remote control from an Insignia DVDR VCR Model NS-DRVCR; the Insignia's remote identifies it as 6711R1N211B. As I recall it, the Insignia unit was identical to the JVC in features, on-screen display, etc., and the remotes are virtually identical, with the exception that the Insignia has a "TV/VCR" button. I am fairly certain that they are, in fact, the same unit with a different label. Can anyone confirm that? And, more important, can anyone tell me if and how I can get the Insignia remote to work with the JVC? Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
    If you want to find out if the other remote works, try it and see for yourself. That would be the fastest way to get an answer. It isn't as if trying it it would break the recorder if it doesn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I did try the remote first. It doesn't work. That's why I'm asking if there is a way I can get it to work (eg some code, internal switch, etc). Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rsatria View Post
    I did try the remote first. It doesn't work. That's why I'm asking if there is a way I can get it to work (eg some code, internal switch, etc). Thanks.
    Standard remote controls are not reprogrammable. You might be able for find a replacement remote here or on ebay. Otherwise, you might be able to use universal remote with a JVC code that works.

[Edit]Is this the replacement remote that you need? http://www.partsimple.com/lg-akb32858803-jvc-n-13.html?gclid=CLeA9PD6uLwCFWYaOgodX3oA0A
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th Feb 2014 at 21:28.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried contacting JVC? Some manufacturers do sell remotes for their players. You'll need to contact a JVC office in the USA since that's where you live.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Can't reprogram the old Insignia remote so I'll be getting the replacement remote mentioned earlier in this thread or directly frlm JVC. Thanks for your replies.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It might actually be possible to "reprogram" the Insignia remote to run your JVC, so I hope you haven't discarded it yet. The JVC DRM-V80 could be set to use any of four different remote signal codes, as could the remotes, so that owners of multiple units would be able to control them independently without interference. So there is a chance the Insignia version of the remote and unit were factory set to a different default code than the JVC, and you may be able to reprogram the DRM-V80 and Insignia remote to match each other. Here is how you do it:

Eject all tapes and DVDs from your DRM-V80 and turn it off.

On the Insignia remote, press the central Enter/OK button and hold it down. While holding Enter/OK down, press the number 3 button, hold for a few seconds, then release both buttons.

On the turned-off DRM-V80 front panel, press the Play/Pause button for more than five seconds until the display changes to indicate what remote code the unit is currently set to. The codes are A, B, C or D corresponding to 1, 2, 3, or 4 on the remote. The JVC defaults to code C-3 whenever it is unplugged from AC power, so it is likely already set for code C-3.

Aim the Insignia remote at the unit and press the remote's Stop button. The display on the JVC should change to C or 3 (if it isn't already set to that) and blink for a few seconds. When it stops blinking, the recorder and the remote are matched and should now work with each other. Turn the JVC on at the front panel, and try using the Insignia remote to operate normal functions.

There's a chance the Insignia version of the JVC remote doesn't include all four remote code options: it may just have one, and whichever it is will be matched by the JVC with this procedure (so the front panel may show A1, B2, or D4 instead of C3). There's also a small chance the Insignia uses NONE of the four codes that JVCs respond to, in which case nothing will happen at all: no harm, no foul. Worth a try, it might save you the cost of a new remote.
    Last edited by orsetto; 7th Feb 2014 at 17:27.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Orsetto, I love these forums because there are so many knowledgeable people out there. The JVC was indeed code "C." However, as you indicated might be the case, the Insignia remote does not, apparently, use any of those four codes. I followed your instructions, but the JVC would not blink when I aimed and pressed the Stop button. (On the positive side, I did find the Insignia manual online and programmed it for my Samsung TV, which worked fine, so it wasn't a total loss). Your response was a valiant try and I appreciate it. Thanks.
    Quote Quote