VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need a device that will convert video from another source (probably VGA but I can make other conversions if necessary) to composite or s-video. My main concern is that widescreen sources will come out as vertically stretched. Is there a converter that can output composite or s-video that can switch to a letterbox mode and output these images in their proper proportions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VGA doesn't have a widescreen setting, so conversion from VGA will most likely result in 4:3 letterbox if you use a 4:3 resolution (e.g. 800 x 600) or squashed if you use a widescreen resolution. There is no 16:9 flag in VGA output.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I should clarify that the original source is 480p widescreen, with some sources as 480i 4:3. The source will be component video output. I've found a converter from component to VGA that accepts 480i or 480p.

Thus, the chain is component (variable between 16:9 and 4:3)... to VGA (unless a conversion to another format might exist)... to composite or s-video.

As far as I know, there is no simple conversion from component to composite or S-video if the component connection might have 480p sources. Please let me know if I'm wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It would even be fine if the device had a function for vertical scaling. At work, we have the Grandtec PC to Video Component, and I just discovered that it has such a function. For my purposes, however, I need more vertical squishing than it can do... it is somewhat limited. If any converter had vertical/horizontal adjustments so that I could make a near-16:9 ratio, I would be completely happy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why is VGA in the loop?
    What are you trying to accomplish?
    What is your display?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VGA is in the loop because I can't find any solution to converting 480p to composite/s-video without first converting to VGA. 480p capture apparently doesn't exist.

The ultimate accomplishment is to stream video games while still playing them on my TV. Thus, the "display" is the broadcast window in my browser, which is taken in by a common USB capture device.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do I have this right?

You want to play games at 480p and real time capture 480p to a computer and also stream live to the internet? Stream in what format?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I currently use Justin.tv for live streaming. I don't have a USB capture device yet.

I realize I am going to have to split my component cable using a powered device to avoid loss of quality on my TV set.

I don't care about capturing the video, just streaming. Thus, the video will probably have to end up as 480i (as far as I can tell). Since stream quality is only so high, I'm not overly concerned with what the image looks like by the time it gets to my computer. What DOES matter is that it looks just as good on my TV as it always has.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    480p capture is expensive currently. $400 up and your computer probably isn't fast enough for real time progressive conversion to a stream. Maybe others have an idea.

480i has many capture options also streaming software support.
    Quote Quote