VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just got my HDMI/DVI cable and hooked it up to the RCA 1080p upcoverting dvd player I just baught (here's the link to the original post when I asked about hdmi/optical and some audio choices - https://forum.videohelp.com/topic342463.html Anyways, I just hooked it up and on the remote to the dvd player you press the HDMI button to switch from 720p 420p 1080i and 1080p...so I have a 52" rca rear projection tv right, well the 420p show's it all funny looking and the 1080p looks scrambled like you get when you try to watch a tv station that you're not paying for (you know what i mean) and the 1080i looks all pixalated and actually WORSE than using the red,green,blue cables. Also, I'm not getting any sound out of the tv when I use the HDMI connection. Anyone know why no sound and why it looks worse than the red,blue,green connection? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Above when I said it looks pixalated, it does look sharper but it's looking like,,, oh ok you know when you are using like say paint shop pro or another grafix program and you 'sharpen' the image but you sharpen it TOO much and it looks sharp but it looks pixalated on the edges? that's the best I can describe what this looks like
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know why you are having problems with the video but as far as the audio: HDMI has both video and audio (assuming your RCA DVD player provides both - which it probably does) but the DVI end of the cable is only video. If you must use DVI on the TV end you will have to provide the audio on separate cables- either RCA cables or digital coax/optical if your TV can handle it.
    Steve W.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have a 5.1 home theater so I listen to sound through that. Just someone in the other post I had said that the dvi/hdmi cable had audio and video and I thought I read that somewhere also, I just hate when things don't work right even if I don't use them hah. Well maybe someone else will know why the picture looks pixelated with the 'better' connection
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I quickly scanned your other thread and don't see where anyone said that DVI had audio.
    Check: http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html
    But, of course, that doesn't have anything to do with the video problem. Check the settings in the RCA DVD player menu to see if there is any settings for sharpness - maybe it is set too high.
    Steve W.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Oh yeah I didn't even think of adjusting the sharpness on the tv, duh! Haha.. I guess I thought where the 1st sentence on the 2nd post said it carries audio and video I thought that meant for DVI as well as HDMI.. Will adjust sharpness ect. and see if that helps. Thanks for pointing out the obvious, didn't even cross my mind!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HDMI can carry audio to the TV over HDMI, DVI lacks audio pins. The DVD Player should allow setting HDMI for video and S/PDIF for audio. If not just use the YPbPb (analog component) cables.

HDMI doesn't always produce better video. In some cases it is the only way to get HD video due to HDCP encryption. Rear projection can use various technologies. Few provide 1080p. Does your TV spec say 1080p? More likely it is limited to 1080i and maybe 720p and has much lower actual resolution. DVI-D input implies an older TV and no 1080p support.

If you want specific answers always include model numbers for the DVD player and TV.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. so basically I just baught the upconvert dvd player and hdmi/dvi cable for nothing? oh well, i really woulda baught the dvd player anyways it was a 5 disk,, i dont know the model of the tv it's an rca but i can't find the book anywhere, i just know it's a rca 52" rear projection, i baught it 2 years ago but they actually still have it at walmart right now (got mine at best buy)
    Quote Quote