VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a combo vhs/dvd player, and closed caption works on the dvd side but not with vhs tapes. The tapes I have are marked with the cc emblem and I have closed caption turned on with the tv; but no closed caption. I have a Sony Lcd tv and a Toshiba combo dvd/vhs player-recorder. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not too familiar with CC on tape, but my recollection is that VHS did not support it. S-VHS did, however, and requires an SVHS deck to play it back properly. If you are playing the tapes back on a VHS deck, that would explain why CC data can't be viewed. [Late-generation VHS decks can play SVHS tapes, after a fashion, but I don't think the CC data will be decoded.]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most of my VCRs (including a Samsung DVD/VCR combo someone gave me when the DVD drive failed) can handle CC with no problems - other than the tapes I made were usually low quality, so the CC data was occasionally munged.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Teletext captions can't be stored on a standard VHS tape (due to limited bandwidth), although they are available on S-VHS tapes and DVDs.
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara
    Most of my VCRs (including a Samsung DVD/VCR combo someone gave me when the DVD drive failed) can handle CC with no problems - other than the tapes I made were usually low quality, so the CC data was occasionally munged.
    Regular vhs cant play cc,dont see how most of your vcrs could show cc.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No idea, then. I don't have any S-VHS decks; all of my VCRs are more or less four-head stereo VCRs. But if I turn CC on on the TV, the closed captioning on the tapes will display normally.

(And most of the VCRs are relatively old, too.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. CC is on some VHS movies, look for the logo on the sleeve or tape. It can also be recorded if the player was made after 1992, CC decoders were also mandatory on tv's after 1992.
    However you can only view it with a composite or S-Video connection, component or HDMI cannot carry the signal on line 21.
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/closed-captioning-the-early-struggles.html
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Moviegeek, I run it through HDMI. Didn't know it required an S-video hook-up. Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, VHS does support CC. It's on most commercial releases, and it even records it on most (all?) VCRs. They don't have to be Hi-Fi VCRs either. I even capture the CC from VHS tapes to get the show transcript. I see it on tapes that I get from other people too. It's there even on low quality tapes recorded at SLP, and even second gen copies.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have now hooked up through S-video, and the closed captioning works fine!!

Thanks again, Moviegeek!
    Quote Quote