VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What is the easiest way to change the font size in a .srt file used in conjunction with MKV files?
    I usually play them on my projector and in most cases they look way too big. What software can you recommend to decrease the font size?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You change it in the player or in the subtitle filter like vsfilter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok, i forgot to mention that i don't play the files from a computer but instead from a standalone blu-ray player (Oppo 93) so there is no way to make this change in the player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    THen it's not possible.

You could convert them to image subtitles like sub/idx or maybe ssa/ass text subtitles if your player supports it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok, i think the player supports sub files also. What program would you recommend for this task? I have Subtitle workshop, will this work?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, it wont work. Maybe subtitle creator. But I guess the image sub/idx will probably look like crap...and huge...

Read http://www.avsforum.com/t/1291855/official-oppo-bdp-93-owners-thread/9960#post_20378106 and forward.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I dont know if this will work with the Blu-Ray player your using but it does work with .srt files when played back on my computer.

when inside your .srt file you should have something that looks like this

00:00:01.000 --> 00:00:06.000
    phrase

00:00:07 --> 00:00:12.000
    phrase

now the way you change color and font is through the <font> tags, and that loos like this,

00:00:01.000 --> 00:00:06.000
    <font size="16px" color="white">phrase</font>

00:00:07 --> 00:00:12.000
    <font size="16px" color="white">phrase</font>

you can change the color to what ever you want, and the size too. but you must always keep the px after what ever size you want your sub titles to be, for example size="16p", or size="20px".
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    I dont know if this will work with the Blu-Ray player your using but it does work with .srt files when played back on my computer.
    Alright, will try this and update with the result.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by rocknrolla115 View Post
    Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    I dont know if this will work with the Blu-Ray player your using but it does work with .srt files when played back on my computer.
    Alright, will try this and update with the result.
    Unfortunately, it didn`t work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Using HTML tags to give SRT subtitles font/style changes is, unfortunately, an "unofficial" modification of the SRT format, and not supported by all players (even less among hardware players). As Baldrick mentioned, you're limited to however your player supports either the plain-text SRTs, or VobSubs. (Are you sure it doesn't support any other subtitle formats, like, say, SSA?)

There's also hardsubbing, encoding the subtitles directly into the video image (they can't be switched on/off). But, of course, I highly doubt that's an option, and it requires re-encoding the videos (thus incurring a quality hit).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote