VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a hp m1170n, and it accepts pc3200 ram with dimm slots. I am thinking about putting pc2700 ram in there and it has the same amount of pins, also it is dimm as well. will the pc2700 ram fit in with my other pc3200 ram cards? please answer
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, but it will slow your PC3200 RAM down to PC2700 speed. As long as it's the same type of RAM, should work, though, and you may not see any major performance difference. I'm assuming this is used RAM, as new RAM is usually about the same price for PC3200 or PC2700.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks! i just wanted to play a game that required more ram than usual
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    According to the specs (http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?spf_p.t...tte.cachetoken), that motherboard uses PC3200 RAM. So PC2700 isn't likely to work, and if it does, it will slow the entire PC.

Use PC3200.

If it used PC2700, you could use PC3200 without any affect.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've never put ram into a computer that was slower than spec.

It seems to me it could do worse things than slow the machine down. The system may not necessarily actually know the ram is slower.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think the OP was just going to try it temporarily, so likely no problem. Usually, if the RAM is the proper type, it should function.
    If the PC doesn't boot, just remove the RAM.

I definitely wouldn't buy new RAM of a less than PC rated speed. Just a waste of money. But trying some used RAM seems OK.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The 915P chipset supports both PC2700 and PC3200. It's likely PC2700 will work but will give you a 5 or 10 percent drop in performance.
    http://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/30146705.pdf
    Quote Quote  
  8. It's exceptionally rare for slower RAM than "spec" to not function. I do this all the time, re-furbing old PC's. Faster is better, but less than enough is bad.

"Spec" may be the original RAM that came with the box, it may be the fastest RAM the mobo will support.

Never seen or heard of any permanent damage or harm, other than slight speed loss.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt there will be any noticeable loss in speed since the ram is very slow compared to what we have now,400mhz->333mhz will only drop 66mhz.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    I doubt there will be any noticeable loss in speed since the ram is very slow compared to what we have now,400mhz->333mhz will only drop 66mhz.
    Assuming the speed difference is only with the FSB or RAM speed. FSB is usually tied to the cpu multiplier, so if the RAM is slower, the cpu could be underclocked to compensate. So you have "only" a 66mhz in FSB/RAM speed (which likely wouldn't be noticed) AND a similar or drop in cpu speed. Both of which, on a system of this vintage, will be noticeable.

If you are buying RAM, buy the correct speed as noted.

If you have used/spare RAM lying about, then sure, try it and see what happens.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote