VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to edit the videos recorded with a dvd camcorder. The dvd camcorder is a Canon DC100, that stores the recordings on optical miniDVD discs, in dvd format. The miniDVD's have a dvd-like structure, with ifo's, bup's and vob's inside a video_ts folder.

But this camcorder doesn't place the clips in separate titles. It places all clips in one dvd title, and separates them only with dvd chapters.

What is the best method to split those clips, by chapter, and avoid audio delay ?

I want to split the individual clips in order to copy the mpeg2 stream from them, with XviD4PSP/ffmpeg, and mux it to a mpeg file that Premiere Pro CS3 accepts as input and supports natively. Then, I want to decode the ac3 audio from the individual clips, to PCM WAV, so that it can be imported in Premiere.

I tried splitting the clips with Sony Vegas 7, because it can import clips from dvd camcorder discs, however, after I decode the audio to wav, it has a small audio delay. But I want no delay at all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try dvddecrypter and use the split by chapter function.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I already tried that, but the audio delay is too big.

The only method I found so far, that has the smallest audio delay possible, is to split the clips in mpeg files with Sony Vegas 7. But they still have a small audio delay. I'm trying to find a way to separate the clips and avoid audio delay at the same time. I even tried VideoReDo TvSuite 4, opened the dvd title, but that progam cannot navigate in the timeline so that I can cut the clips. It cannot navigate in the timeline even after a QuickStreamFix.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Shrink 'Re-author' mode lets you save chapters as titles.
    Quote Quote  
  5. in DVD Shrink 'Re-author' mode, I don't see any chapter listed. Only the title, it's duration and it's size are listed.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	12140
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by codemaster View Post
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I already tried that, but the audio delay is too big.
    Rip the entire disc to your HDD then run FixVTS on it. It won't solve your chapter problem but it should solve the delay problem.
    Quote Quote  
  8. FixVTS cannot fix the audio delay from these camcorder dvd's.

So far, Sony Vegas 7 is the only program that was capable of maintaining audio delay below 200ms.

I cannot understand why these dvd's have huge audio delay in XviD4PSP, and cannot be fixed with VideoReDo of FixVTS, since their playback is done with 0ms audio delay.
    Last edited by codemaster; 26th Apr 2012 at 11:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by codemaster View Post
    FixVTS cannot fix the audio delay from these camcorder dvd's.
    Does that mean you've tried it and it didn't help?.....or you are just blowing it off before you even try?
    Quote Quote  
  10. @ hech54: of course I tried FixVTS. It didn't solve the audio delay problem. I can make a screencast and send it to you, as proof, if you want.
    Quote Quote