VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do you safely clean dust off of a dvd disk without damaging it ? What do you use to wipe it off? DO you wipe in circular motion, or straight out wards? I have read so much conflicting info online. Please any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Hold the disc by the edges. Blow off any loose debris first.

Then use a soft cloth, moistened with a mix of isopropyl alcohol and water. Most would tell you to wipe it back and forth in a radial pattern, from the edge to center. This should be good enough to remove dust and fingerprints.

Make sure the alcohol you use isn't rubbing alcohol which has menthol or other additives.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The ones I get from the local library, I just give a quick shot of Windex and wipe with a soft paper towel.
    Most of them have multiple greasy fingerprints and seem to have been used as a drink coaster on a coffee table or a Frisbee, so not easy to damage them more. A buffing wheel would be needed for a through cleaning.

My own DVDs are in better shape and don't often require cleaning. (But Isopropyl or Denatured Alcohol and a lint free cloth are probably a better choice.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hold them up to your mouth.....go "Hhhhhh"....and wipe them on your jeans.
    Quote Quote