VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I'm looking for advice on software for capturing and editing movies. I have been using an old version of Pinnacle Studio but I want to explore other options before deciding whether to upgrade. It would be great if there was an open source option like Gimp is for Photoshop.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Explain more what you want to do.

If you have time to invest, first master Virtualdub, then AviSynth.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ucime View Post
    Hello, I'm looking for advice on software for capturing and editing movies. I have been using an old version of Pinnacle Studio but I want to explore other options before deciding whether to upgrade. It would be great if there was an open source option like Gimp is for Photoshop.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

If you go to the "Tools" section at the left of the web page and look at the programs available you will see a rating and comment section for each tool.(plus a brief description for each). Make sure your system can use the tools. (you don't have any info on your system which would provide helpful)

Welcome to the site
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm nowhere the pro people here are. All I'm looking to do is capture movies from my video camera and create DVDs for friends and family. I want to be able to select scenes and splice them together. I want to be able to inlcude pictures and music in the videos. I want to be able to create menus. I can do all this with Pinnacle Studio but if I can do this with open source I'd rather do that instead of shelling out money.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is your camcorder model and format? That drives most software choice.

Software isn't free. You pay with learning curve (opensource) or with money (simple to use or cutting edge).
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't mind the learning curve!

I'm surprised that you say the camcorder model drives the software choice. Can you explain why? Right now I have an old Sony Digital 8: DCR-TRV330 but I am hoping to get something else in the near future. What should I be thinking about as I make my decision?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Oh, and I have lots of old VHS tapes that I'm going to want to convert.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Opensource: Virtualdub + Cedocida DV Codec over IEEE-1394 import.

VHS will take an alternate capture device $$ needed.
    Quote Quote