VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Okay, so I get home this morning to find my IE homepage has been hijacked. Apparently my brother and some of his friends had been surfing the net all night on it. Needless to say that ended up downloading something that really screwed it up. My wallpaper was changed to something that said I was infeceted and I needed to buy some software to get rid of it, and the tab labeled 'desktop' under properties was missing so I couldn't change it back. I ran spybot and adaware and was able to get my homepage back as well as my desktop, but this stupid thing in the corner keeps popping up. I tried to do the uninstall, but all that did was get it out of the start menu. It takes you to www.psguard.com when you click on it. Any advice how to get this piece of crap off my PC? I sent them a few nasty emails, but I don't think that is going to help.
    This plan is so bad, it must be one of ours.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Darth Paris
    Okay, so I get home this morning to find my IE homepage has been hijacked. Apparently my brother and some of his friends had been surfing the net all night on it. Needless to say that ended up downloading something that really screwed it up. My wallpaper was changed to something that said I was infeceted and I needed to buy some software to get rid of it, and the tab labeled 'desktop' under properties was missing so I couldn't change it back. I ran spybot and adaware and was able to get my homepage back as well as my desktop, but this stupid thing in the corner keeps popping up. I tried to do the uninstall, but all that did was get it out of the start menu. It takes you to www.psguard.com when you click on it. Any advice how to get this piece of crap off my PC? I sent them a few nasty emails, but I don't think that is going to help.
    Running XP? You could try using system restore. (sometimes this can cause more problems than it is worth) You could also try Microsoft antispyware or hijack this. I would also try searching the registry for anything related to PSGUARD. If you find anything, delete it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I used hijack this to get most of the control back. I actualy made a little progress last night with a program called ewido security suite. I am now able to shut the thing down but, when ever I reboot the files are back.
    This plan is so bad, it must be one of ours.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    First thing I do when I identify a virus/trojan is do a Google search. Try 'remove psguard'. You will find several pages of methods and information.

Sometimes if you try to take them out without all the needed information, you just get parts. They can reside in the registry and in the restore files and come back again. Unplug from the internet, run in safe mode are two things that help.

I've had much better luck finding what works and doesn't work for other people, and letting them make the mistakes. Then I pick the best method and use that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Darth Paris
    I used hijack this to get most of the control back. I actualy made a little progress last night with a program called ewido security suite. I am now able to shut the thing down but, when ever I reboot the files are back.
    Go ahead and empty your prefetch folder. You may also want to disable system restore.
    Quote Quote