VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Is anyone using this DVD player?

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpindex.pl?ctn=DVP2880/58&hlt=Link_UserManuals&mid=...scy=PL&slg=AEN

I noticed that when the power is on, the LED (on the front of the player) is off and when the power is off, the LED is on.

Shouldn't be the opposite (power on LED on and power off LED off)?
    Last edited by kyrcy; 15th Dec 2014 at 13:59.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's done (the LED appearing when the player is "off") to indicate the player's in "standby" mode. This is fairly common among players, these days, and there's usually no way for that behavior to be changed.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    On their support webpage there is firmware for the DVP2880/12 which I am assuming is the same player for a different area.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpindex.pl?ctn=DVP2880/12&hlt=Link_Software&mid=Lin...scy=PL&slg=AEN

According to the release notes of this firmware the correct behavior should be LED on when power on.

I tried emailing Philips, but I got no reply.
    Last edited by kyrcy; 20th Dec 2014 at 11:26.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well I just purchased the dvd player from target and it gives a mode not supported error on my tv when trying to play pal. I've been through 3 different players each with their own pros and cons. It seems I will need to have a blu ray and dvd player to play pal and dual layer movies on..UGGHHH
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by speeddmon View Post
    Well I just purchased the dvd player from target and it gives a mode not supported error on my tv when trying to play pal. I've been through 3 different players each with their own pros and cons. It seems I will need to have a blu ray and dvd player to play pal and dual layer movies on..UGGHHH
    some usa dvd players will not play PAL format discs only region 1 dvd's. unless you can convert the movie to ntsc format.
    also some tv's may not display pal format correctly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by speeddmon View Post
    Well I just purchased the dvd player from target and it gives a mode not supported error on my tv when trying to play pal. I've been through 3 different players each with their own pros and cons. It seems I will need to have a blu ray and dvd player to play pal and dual layer movies on..UGGHHH
    1. This has nothing to do with "dual layer" DVDs.
    2. For decades(since VHS), PAL has been a major problem in America.
    PAL VHS presented an even bigger, more expensive challenge in America.
    3. You need a DVD player that is both "region free" AND one that converts PAL to NTSC.
    Region free(region coding) and video format(PAL and NTSC) have nothing to do with each other.
    You need to do some research PRIOR to purchasing to ensure you can watch foreign DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!