VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My current Blu-ray player will only play MKV files from an external usb hard drive, but I don't like having to constantly move it back and forth between my computer and the player. Are there any Blu-ray players that will play MKV files that are burned onto a BD-R as a data disc? Thanks in advance.

ampex
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For the past couple of years, maybe longer, the manuals for the LG players I've looked at list MKV as playable via disc or USB, although I have never tried it on the LG player I bought for my parents last year. I have always burned recorded TV shows to BD-R as .TS or .MPG for playback using that machine because the editor I use exports .TS or .MPG.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, my Samsung 3D BD player will do this.

However, do understand that it is possible to create MKV files that nothing but a PC can play, depending on the encoding options used. If I remember correctly, the number of reference frames needs to be 5 or less in the video or you will probably never be able to play your file. Some BD players have been reported to be able to play MKV files from disc but the MKV file needs to be exactly 1280x720 or 1920x1080 and something like 1920x800 won't work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My sony bdp-s380 plays mkv that are encoded in all different resolutions (1280x532,960x540,1920x800 etc..)and reference frames as high as 8 and more as long as the videos are in 4.1 high profile and less with no head stripping.Other brand of blu-ray players such as Phillips and Samsung can do the same.

Authored blu-rays need to have reference frames at 5 or lower or the video gets really glitchy,older blu-ray could play high reference videos such as the ps3 and bdp-s350 but the newer blu-rays couldn't without artifacting.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, My LG blu ray player plays them from external USB & burned DVD or BD-R.

I picked up one of these for $30.00 and love it to death!!!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX0XR2002
    Small, no external power and fits in my shirt pocket!!
    Much nicer than burning a bunch of disc's, unless it is something I want for a long time.

It's not that hard to move and way less time consuming than waiting for a BD-R to finish burning.

But if the OP would actually post the make and model, instead of just saying "my bluray player" it might help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies guys, good to know this is possible. For those of you who replied and said they were able to play files this way, could you let me know what model number your blu-ray players are? My current player is an LG BD-370. Thanks.
    Last edited by ampex; 22nd Sep 2013 at 18:26.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have a cheap Samsung BD player (Model: BD-F5100, About $80US at BB), that plays my HD BD>MKV conversions from RipBot with no problems. Also DVD>MKV conversions with VidCoder. Not a great quality player, though. Mine is in for repair under warranty. I think most of the Samsung line will play MKVs from BD-R discs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Both my players are LG BD610
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The reviews for this are a kind of all over the place, but I would chalk that up to user error most likely or not understanding different file properties.

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers?DVDname=BD370&Submit=Search&orderby=Name&hits=50

Mkv(h264) : very bad : sound is ok but video is very jerky.
    I bought this playet to play MKV files from the usb and the only recognisable formats the usb port will allow is pictures and music.
    Where you say the opposite.

Plays MKV files great via a usb stick.Also tested with a verbatim BD-RE 25gb disc and plays great
    Quote Quote  
  10. Asus O!play media players, play everything thrown at them, but Asus also makes Bluray players that support multiple video formats too now. You could look into those. I have a an Asus media player, but have never tried their bluray players.
    http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/
    Quote Quote  
  11. I've had 2 BD-players that will play mkv off BD-R or DVD-R/DL, both LG, models BD660 and BD650. European models, LG might use different numbers elsewhere.

They also support srt subtitles, both internal in mkv and external - important for me. I also tried LG BDX580 (I think) but returned it as it sometimes quit playing the mkv. Really cheap players too, I found BD650 by default gives better picture probably due to being even cheaper and (fortunately) having less noise reduction by default.

I don't know if recent LG players are better or worse at MKV, but at the time I bought my player it was more compatible than similar Samsung, Philips and Sony players I tried.

(Sorry, somewhat late reply but thought someone might be interested anyway)
    Quote Quote  
  12. I had purchased the Samsung F-5100 but will not play the MKV Files burned on a Blu Ray Disc that with the size more than 4 gb. The Firmware is current one. I returned the player and changed to LG BDP-135 (latest model) and it plays all the MKV Files without problem but only letdown is the CINAVIA with some movies distributed by SONY.
    Why Samsung restrict their product to play MKV file burned on Blu Ray Disc? They are digging their grave for their product.
    Any one came across this problem?
    Thanks for reply.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Best to open a new thread,you will get more responses.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote