VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I record TV directly through transport streams (1080i PAL TS's).

I do it because I like archiving shows for personal use.

I record the show, transfer it to my PC, cut the ads with Video Re-Do & then I re-save it with only the AC3 Audio Stream. So now I have the same 1080i file but with the ads cut and the original AC3 Audio.

After this process i drag and drop into Handbrake. I mainly encode Sports/Animation, but in this case sports like MMA/Wrestling.

I try to replicate scene standards so I can have piece of mind that the file I've archived is in encoded to the best settings for that time possible.

Now that I've given you my life story my question is: How am I sure I am using the best encode settings for the resolution I use which 720x406 (around that size)? Ive read many people using more x264 settings and tweaks to get the encodes looking sharper, smoother, and generally looking very optimal.

Here are my app settings:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/9JtcTLi.jpg

Here's the media info for the source:
    http://pastebin.com/Ud41XhjC

Here's the media info for the encode:
    http://pastebin.com/ENgeFCmV

Here's a screen of the source:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/DE0VEsO.jpg

Here's a screen of the encode:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/VO42eNd.png

Here's a video clip of the source:
    https://www.mediafire.com/?mmc11hm9n9l90tu

Here's the same clip encoded with my settings:
    https://www.mediafire.com/?q1li4dwunm10glm

How can I get this even better? Am I using the wrong app? Am I not using the right settings for this kind of fast motion sport? How can i improve this? And am I just getting my knickers in a twist for nothing (You're saying I can't do anymore to it)?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the intended playback environment/device? Your PC I assume?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My PC & Consoles
    Quote Quote  
  4. With interlaced sources you want to use the bob deinterlacer (double frame rate) to keep smooth motion. Or leave the material interlaced and for interlaced x264 encoding by entering "tff" in the extra options box.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not a console user myself but I noticed typical blocking artifacts on your encode.

What you are doing is taking 1080i source (with an ac3 audio track) to 720p to an mp4 with a aac audio codec which
    is fine.

I would recommend changing the de-interlace to off and turn the decomb to either default or bob (which I like better).
    If you use 'bob' use constant frame rate and 'Same as Source' only or you'll get audio sync issues for sure. By the way I
    did notice a small amount of on your encode you posted.

As for the video tab portion, try going back to the default RF 20 instead of 22. You will end up with a better looking
    encode. I tried it myself and it is an improvement.

Try this link as a guide for Handbrake

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/HandBrakeGuide

And this link as reference for the H264 codec (x264)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

I hope this is a good start for you, best of luck!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dougster View Post
    Not a console user myself but I noticed typical blocking artifacts on your encode.

What you are doing is taking 1080i source (with an ac3 audio track) to 720p to an mp4 with a aac audio codec which
    is fine.

I would recommend changing the de-interlace to off and turn the decomb to either default or bob (which I like better).
    If you use 'bob' use constant frame rate and 'Same as Source' only or you'll get audio sync issues for sure. By the way I
    did notice a small amount of on your encode you posted.

As for the video tab portion, try going back to the default RF 20 instead of 22. You will end up with a better looking
    encode. I tried it myself and it is an improvement.

Try this link as a guide for Handbrake

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/HandBrakeGuide

And this link as reference for the H264 codec (x264)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

I hope this is a good start for you, best of luck!
    Thanks both of you for the replies, I will use a lower CRF & Bob in the future. Also is bob recommended for all types of shows or just for fast motion sport like wrestling etc? Also would you guys recommend me using 50 FPS instead of same as source, would this benefit the motion in any way? Ive heard people tell me Sky broadcast in 50fps but i seen on the media info its 25.000?

Anyhow would it make a difference if i encoded the files with 50fps? Obv filesize but viewing experience? Or is 25fps best
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    50 fps? Try it and see. If you like and or it just works better for you're rig, then go for it.
    Of course file sizes are larger.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    50 fps? Try it and see. If you like and or it just works better for you're rig, then go for it.
    Of course file sizes are larger.
    I did it on the test source file and noticed a slight difference but am unsure if i was seeing an improvmenet/tell there was a change.

But anyhow I'd have to do it another time because lets say the i5 I've got doesn't encode the fastest.

Which brings me onto my next question: We all know the XviD codec doesn't take full advantage of a CPU's cores when encoding, but say for example I had a rig running a Intel Core i7-3820 @ 3.60GHz vs my current 3230m 2.60 Dual Core would I see a difference in encoding times? Does handbrake utilise cores properly? To encode the full 43 minute show it took me 1 hour and 16 minutes using the settings i showed earlier on. My CPU showed turboboost at 2.97 GHz at 100% utilisation (If thats accurate).

Video cards/faster ram make any difference? I'm already running a Samsung Evo SSD.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake will use all the resources available. No matter what you have, CPU usage is always at or near 100%!!!
    As for encoding quality, its all subjective man, its all subjective. If it looks fine for you then thats all that matters.

Of course, it could ALWAYS be better.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, and by the way, Handbrake does not use video card acceleration and is not a ram hog so you should
    be fine.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake will use all the resources available. No matter what you have, CPU usage is always at or near 100%!!!
    As for encoding quality, its all subjective man, its all subjective. If it looks fine for you then thats all that matters.

Of course, it could ALWAYS be better.
    Thanks for your help and prompt replies. (Not everyone helps out noobs/newbies but i made sure i gave all the information & details possible) so give me some credit?

I've learnt alot just in this thread than researching the internet for weeks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. That particular source isn't very good. It's been through a frame rate conversion. It has blended fields and it's jerky.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    That particular source isn't very good. It's been through a frame rate conversion. It has blended fields and it's jerky.
    Frame Rate conversion from the broadcaster? Or because I ran it through Video-Re-Do?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll give you credit.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by EzK View Post
    That particular source isn't very good. It's been through a frame rate conversion. It has blended fields and it's jerky.
    Frame Rate conversion from the broadcaster? Or because I ran it through Video-Re-Do?
    I'm thinking the broadcaster, YOUR source broadcaster is in the UK right?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by EzK View Post
    Frame Rate conversion from the broadcaster?
    Yes. In Handbrake, be sure to set the frame rate to 50 fps when you bob. I don't have any 1080i PAL sources right now but here an NTSC 1080i video converted with handbrake with bob and 59.94 fps.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm thinking the broadcaster, YOUR source broadcaster is in the UK right?
    BSkyB PAL
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    29.97 to 25 fps is always a pain in the butt!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What am I meant to do in this case? Everything I record here in the UK is 29.97 that broadcasters have converted to PAL 25fps.

Do I convert it back to 29.97? Or will that just end bad. I read somewhere changing framerates can be a ball ache.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by EzK View Post
    What am I meant to do in this case? Everything I record here in the UK is 29.97 that broadcasters have converted to PAL 25fps.
    Bob and 50 fps should give you the best results. It would be much cleaner if you had native 1080i25 PAL. Try recording some local soccer games. You'll see that 50 fps is much smoother a flickers less than 25 fps.

By the way, I added a 1080i30 to to 404p60 sample from Handbrake to my last post.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, when the damage is done, its done. (replying to EzK)
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Frame Rate conversion from the broadcaster?
    Yes. In Handbrake, be sure to set the frame rate to 50 fps when you bob. I don't have any 1080i PAL sources right now but here an NTSC 1080i video converted with handbrake with bob and 59.94 fps.
    That actually looks brilliant! Would converting my source to 50 make it as smooth as this? I don't think so huh? Since It's native 25?

Bob and 50 fps should give you the best results. It would be much cleaner if you had native 1080i25 PAL. Try recording some local soccer games. You'll see that 50 fps is much smoother a flickers less than 25 fps.

By the way, I added a 1080i30 to to 404p60 sample from Handbrake to my last post.
    Ill try it out
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by EzK View Post
    NTSC 1080i video converted with handbrake with bob and 59.94 fps.
    That actually looks brilliant! Would converting my source to 50 make it as smooth as this? I don't think so huh? Since It's native 25?
    Your NTSC/PAL converted source won't be that smooth. But it should look as smooth as the original 1080i25 (when played properly). Native 1080i25 sources should be about as smooth as my 60p sample.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Oh, and make sure all your intended playback devices support 50 fps playback well.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    @OP

i wouldn't waste my time de-interlacing and transcoding, no matter what you do you will lose quality, i've got a bunch of tv captures myself, i wouldn't even think of converting them, just keep them as they are.

with regards to storage, Samsung is coming out with 8tb SSD next year and 16tb SSD's in 2016, so storage space and speed will not be an issue anytime soon.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!