VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Hey all. New to the forum and I have a question for you. I am in the process of ripping all my blurays and putting them on an external hard drive and making a movie server. For the most part, everything is working out perfectly, but I am having problems with a handful of the blurays. I am using WinAVI as my program. I was suggested to use Handbrake, but for whatever reason, Handbrake won't recognize my drives (none of them). So anyway - what's happening to the ripped copy is this - the video looks stuttery, almost like it's fastforwarding on 1x. The audio sounds like someone is talking in front of a fan.

A large majority of them are coming from Blurays that I purchased from Blockbuster when it went out of business, and I thought it might have something to do with Blockbuster adding a line of code or something, to keep people from making copies of rental movies. But then I started having that same problem with Blurays that I purchased brand new.

This is frustrating. It averages anywhere from 2 to 3 hours to rip one disk, and once I've done so, I can't even use the copy. My stack is growing larger.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Authoring? Nope. MOving you to our ripping section.

But what do you rip/decrypt with? Handbrake can't rip it just reconverts the video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks, and sorry for posting in the wrong place.

I am ripping with WinAVI for Bluray.

I tried using MakeMKV and Handbrake, and still couldn't get it to work right.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    We all use makemkv or anydvdhd here. Noone here would use winavi crap...

I use anydvdhd and rip the blu-ray to the hdd, open the bdmv fodler in handbrake or vidcoder and converts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What is the upside of using all that, though? When WinAVI works, it works great. Just one step, and it rips from the Bluray and goes straight to the HD.

I don't know a lot about coding or converting. I don't really care about extras, or modifying anything - just want an easy rip to the HD for my server.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by GA_Beach_Bum View Post
    What is the upside of using all that, though? When WinAVI works, it works great.
    And when it doesn't work, you come here and get directed to better tools. Welcome to the forums.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't know WinAvi would rip to hard drive because of copy protection.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What's the purpose of getting better tools if I can't get them to work? I tried both MakeMKV and Handbrake, and couldn't get them to work when I first started doing this. That's the reason I went to an easier program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's working, Tarzan - but not completely.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try the trail version of AnyDVDHD and see if that makes a difference, Also are you playing these on a stand alone player or on a computer? If on a computer what player are you using? Try both ways.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Blu Rays can contain at least 3 video codecs: MPEG2, VC-1 or H.264 and quite a few frame rates: 23.976p, 24p, 25i, 29.97i, 59.94p. It's likely at least one of these combinations is messing with WinAVI.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks, Tarzan. I'm actually ripping from a desktop, onto an external hard drive. I'm then using the hard drive as a movie server with Plex. The player that defaults when I "check" the video I've just ripped is Windows Media Player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks, Ndjamena. Yikes. I'm just trying to find an easy way to do this. I've only got about 10 so far that haven't worked, but those 10 are movies that I really like.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by GA_Beach_Bum View Post
    What's the purpose of getting better tools if I can't get them to work? I tried both MakeMKV and Handbrake, and couldn't get them to work when I first started doing this. That's the reason I went to an easier program.
    That's the first I've heard of someone being unable to get MakeMKV to work. Try downloading it from here and re-install/ reboot.

As to Handbrake, it's not the simplest program to begin with, and if there's anything wrong with the rip, well of course it's going to stuff up. Instead of Handbrake, try VidCoder; it uses the Handbrake engine but is much simpler.

My bet is the problem lies with your ripper. Like Baldrick says, no one here uses it. Or anyway admits to it.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks, Fritz! Will give it a shot.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!