VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Connected my laptop via HDMI cable to the TV for the 1st time believing the cable carried video and audio signals. The video is crystal clear however, no audio.

At this point the only way I am going to get audio is by adding an active speaker system to the laptop earphone sockets, is this correct.

I would really appreciate advise from members.
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What card do you have? I have a 430 GT and the video card driver package has HD Audio drivers as part of the install. Have you checked this for yours? I haven't tried setting it up via HDMI yet to know if it works.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You have to have the right drivers to route audio to the HDMI output of the laptop. If you have the right drivers go to the Sound controls in Control Panel and set the audio output to HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Video Card I have is a GeForce 9200 GS. I have the right driver installed however, going to the Control Panel>Sound does not give me an option for HDMI.
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming this is for Windows right click your speaker icon on the windows taskbar. Click playback devices. Your graphics card should be visible here. Click it and set it as your default playback device and you should be all set to go.

ati hdmi out.jpg

Edit - sorry read you don't see it as an option.

Check device manager. It might have a little ! over it. If it does it is a driver issue. You might need to reinstall it and try again.

Edit 2 - also is this by chance dts audio? I don't know if the hdmi would properly play dts to your tv if the tv doesn't do dts (don't know any tvs that do but these days that may have changed with the newest generation of hdtvs).
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ati hdmi out.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	6609  

Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. HDMI can be in DVI mode ie no audio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by blinky88 View Post
    The Video Card I have is a GeForce 9200 GS. I have the right driver installed however, going to the Control Panel>Sound does not give me an option for HDMI.
    It should be all in the manual. Most every laptop implementation is unique. Ask the manufacturer or in the user forums for your particular model.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

driver is: NVIDIA IDT HD Audio, opened the NVIDIA control panels and audio is not mentioned anywhere ?
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by blinky88 View Post
    Hi all,

driver is: NVIDIA IDT HD Audio, opened the NVIDIA control panels and audio is not mentioned anywhere ?
    Look in the audio control panels.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote