VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Trying to find a way to change color of shown subtitles when viewing dvds on computer. Like a video player that can do this in its options/settings?

I.E watching dvd with subtitles. Its ugly yellow color. Want to change to white WITHOUT having to rip the dvd and extract the subs and change there. Im looking for a way to change the color durring stream of video. Like a filter option for the playback.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DVD subtitles are stored as images and it makes it a bit tricky to adjust the font settings. Just changing color wouldn't be that hard though...but I haven't seen any such feature in any player.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    DVD subtitles are stored as images and it makes it a bit tricky to adjust the font settings. Just changing color wouldn't be that hard though...but I haven't seen any such feature in any player.
    Yea, that's pretty much what I found out when I did some online research. They say it wouldn't be too hard to just adjust the color but haven't found any player or something of the like that supports that feature.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Following up with this thread. I found something weird going on with DVD's and win7. While I was continuing to look into changing subtitle colors during playback. I copied my dvd's contents to my Hard drive and loaded the main VIDEO_TS.IFO using MPC. Magically the subtitles are now white. So I tried loading the VIDEO_TS.IFO from the physical DVD into MPC and the subtitles are yellow. I then load the VIDEO_TS.IFO into VLC and THEY ARE WHITE. Then I try the DVD's file VIDEO_TS.IFO in VLC and they are YELLOW. So this change has something to do with Windows and how it reads dvds? Because its not the video player and the only difference is the location that I'm reading the dvd from.

Any guesses?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Popcorn series of media players have that facility. The C200 has the option of changing colours and size and position of subs etc. But you would need to rip your DVD's/Blu ray discs to ISO on a hard disc or install a DVD unit in the C200. I didn't do that with mine so I don't know if the unit will do it from a physical DVD in it.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can change the colors in Vlc. I haven't tested it in Mpc or Mpc-Hc. In Vlc just right click on the screen. Scroll down to tools>>>click preferences, then on the left side, scroll down to Subtitles & OSD. And now choose what color you want. Be sure to close and restart Vlc for it to take affect.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mr.Delusional View Post
    You can change the colors in Vlc. I haven't tested it in Mpc or Mpc-Hc. In Vlc just right click on the screen. Scroll down to tools>>>click preferences, then on the left side, scroll down to Subtitles & OSD. And now choose what color you want. Be sure to close and restart Vlc for it to take affect.
    But can you change DVD subtitle colors?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Actually I'm totally wrong. It's the color of the closed captions that can be changed, not the subtitles. I do apologize.
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by grimmyr13 View Post
    Trying to find a way to change color of shown subtitles when viewing dvds on computer. Like a video player that can do this in its options/settings?

I.E watching dvd with subtitles. Its ugly yellow color. Want to change to white WITHOUT having to rip the dvd and extract the subs and change there. Im looking for a way to change the color durring stream of video. Like a filter option for the playback.
    Give a try to Mplayer, which is known for ignoring the original colors and reducing everything to white text -.-

To my eyes at least (and to the eyes of many other people as well), yellow subpics are more readable than white subpics.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 11th Jul 2014 at 17:12. Reason: grammar : - /
    Quote Quote  
  10. That's all very interesting but does anyone have any ideas as to the weird behavior I've witnessed when reading the dvd from the dvd drive or from the physical hard drive; why its changing subtitle color to white when views from Hard disk but not when viewed from dvd drive?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!