VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hey all

i have a pretty shitty computer. a 733MHz, but i can rip and encode dvds and all that. it just takes quite a while to do. i use the whole dvd rebuilder/cce combo.

what i was wondering is if there is any way to pause the encode that takes me so long to finish, like 15 hours or so? like stopping the encode and then proceeding at another time or something.

any help would be greatly appreciated. or if there is an alternative that will give me equal options and quality as dvd rebuilder that will give me this feature.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

colin
    Quote Quote  
  2. Some programs let you pause. TMPGEnc for example has an Stop button. If you press it it stops encoding and asks if you really want to stop. If you answer No it will continue encoding. You have to leave the program open while paused though.

Other options:

If you just want to use your computer while encoding and find that it's too sluggish, use Alt+Ctrl+Del to bring up Task Manager. Go the the Processes tab, find your encoder, right click on it and select Set Priority -> Low. Some programs let you set the process priority as an option. Setting the priority to low or idle will make any other foreground tasks run at near normal speed (of course the encoding will take longer if you do lots of other stuff).

If you need to shut the computer down (say, it's in your bedroom and you want to sleep) you might be able to use the hibernate function. This puts the computer to sleep but retains the state it was in. Any programs that were running will pick up where they left off before hibernation. I've done this with VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ooh, Shudder! Risky move, at least with my dinosaur, I am affraid that if I stomp on the floor too hard it will crash. I would reccomend testing it out on a short encode first. Of course I am of the old school (and old equipment) Nothing but video when doing video. Time it so that you can do it over night and into the next day if you have to. 14 and a half hours into a 15 hour project is no time to be rolling the dice.
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
  4. can i use that program tmpgenc with cce?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by aereogramme
    can i use that program tmpgenc with cce?
    No. And if you switch from CCE to TMPGEnc your encodes will take 3 times longer!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Tmpgenc is an encoder like CCE. You can make a pause with DVDRB if you are using HC - it can "suspend" the encode, and "resume" afterwards.
    I think also DVDRB itself has a pause button. Maybe in three click mode, I don't remember.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDRB can stop and resume because it breaks the encode down into smaller segments. If you stop the encode it deletes the partial segment, and resumes from the start of that segment next time.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote