VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there people.
    The problem is like this:

I have a movie file, encoded with xvid etc. and a sub file (let's say an .srt file).
    Movie and subtitle 100% sync.
    Now I want to edit the movie. To be more exactly, I wanna delete some scene from the avi. Let's say about 30 sec. after the first 10 minutes of playing and again 20 seconds after the first half of the movie(original movie length).
    I've done this using virtualdub. It's easy.
    BUT: Is there a way NOT to manually edit the srt file?Could this be done automatic? Is there a software that could delete some part of the movie and the subtitle file in the same time(rearranging the .srt file)?

The example above is relatively easy, but I need to edit movies cutting something like even 10/12 scenes and at this point doing everything manually is very hard.

Thank you and please excuse my English.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Subtitle Workshop would probably be the closest thing you'll find to do what you want with the least inconvenience. You will have to keep track of the EXACT time frames you cut out of each video and then SW can be used to automatically reduce the subtitle instances from that time stamp.

For instance, if you cut out 2m:33s:54ms at the 1h:12m:15s:30ms point of a movie, you just find the last subtitle prior to that time and choose to reduce all subtitles by 2m:33s:54ms after that point.

It's not completely automatic, but it's still better than manually editing all time stamps.
    theHTPC.net

Find a cure for cancer by folding proteins! Join the Team 32 Folding@Home project (#3 worldwide!). Check us out here
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I'll try it at home. I'll post the result tomorrow.
    But I'm still hoping that (someone/some soft) could do that automatic. That would be handy!
    Thanks jkleslie.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, if you're ALWAYS going to be showing the subtitles, you can "burn" them into the video.
    Then it's part of the picture, and will be -- permanently -- fixed to the correct frames.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks AlanHK. I know perfectly that. But unfortunately I dislike that because
    that require a lots of time spent. And i don't have that. So the question still remains. Gracias amigo anyway.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So... I've done it. I think that SW is the ultimate tool. Not perfect to solve my problem but a good tool.

a) I used VirtualDub(even that sometimes problem with audio vbr rate will occur) cut, note on paper the length of edit
    b) In SW at the proper time/frame edit manually(delete the portion of sub) AND from that point applying a negative delay for the rest of the subtitle file. Save(optional).
    c) Then move to the next point in VirtualDub and repeat the steps.

So... as U can imagine this is not very easy, but still might work.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR ANSWERS. I HOPE THIS HELPS THE OTHERS.
    AND -OF COURSE- THE QUESTION STILL REMAINS: Is there only one software that could do this automatic?
    Bye.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Anyone there ?
    Last edited by sanyad; 18th Dec 2013 at 19:27.
    Quote Quote