VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First off, I've been reading this site for what seems like forever. Using it to answer all my questions and just learning about things that interested me. Reading every tutorial on how to convert this to that and how to make my DVD player region free. Until now, most of my AV questions were answered by this site. And if they weren't it was because Google already had the answer. However here I am with a problem that I can't seem to solve. I just bought the Sony HT-SS2000 HTIB system and I wanted to hook it up to my DVD Player (Philips DVP5960) to watch upconverted DVD's and to my laptop (Sony VGN-FZ290) so I could watch HD videos. Since both my laptop and DVD plater have HDMI out ports and the HTIB system has three HDMI in ports, I figured this would work fine. However for some reason, I can only get audio or video to output out of the receiver. Meaning if the receiver is sending a video signal to the TV, I wont have any audio coming from 5.1 speakers. If I turn the TV off, then the receiver sends out audio through the system. My TV is a Panasonic PT-53WX54. The TV only has DVI so I'm running an HDMI cable to the TV with the help of a separate HDMI-DVI adapter. When I hook it up to my laptop and its sending a video signal, my sound card doesn't even see the HDMI audio as an option. When I stop sending the video signal, the audio option shows up. Its really strange. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I dont know if this qualifies as a video problem since its also an audio problem so move or delete accordingly. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVI carry video only, so any HDMI-DVI adaptor will cut audio out.
    As to your first question. Check the manual for your Sony home theatre. Most likely you do not have it set up correctly. Either in its menu or as cable connection go.
    If your DVD player is connected to HDMI input, you should get sound out of your system while watching video on TV.
    You may have to disable TV sound, but like I said, check manual. Every system is little different.
    This is a manual, Check page22.
    http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/pdf/HTSS2000.pdf
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the link. But yeah, I understand that my TV speakers will not give out any sound since DVI is video only, but I don't get sound from the sound system when there is any video out. It's really strange. I looked at the manual, (both print and online just to see if there was an amendment that contained my particular problem, it didn't) and I checked out page 22 like you said, and the only part that seems pertinent to me is this:

"We do not recommend using a HDMI-DVI conversion cable. When you connect a HDMI-DVI conversion cable to a DVI-D component, the sound and/or image may not be output."

But I just don't get why that would stop sound from coming out of the system speakers.

UPDATE: I don't know how but I just tried my DVD player and now I get sound and video through the receiver. I'm going to try to laptop and see what happens.

UPDATE 2: OK, so now its just my laptop that will only give sound or video via the HDMI out port. The DVD player works fine sending both audio and video. I think that the problem lies in the HDMI-DVI conversion that the manual talks about, It doesn't make sense to me, but that seems to be it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you use HDMI-DVI converter you need to connect a sound from you sound cart output to play.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I was hoping the the HDMI out from my laptop would send Video and Audio to my receiver which has HDMI In, and that the receiver would send audio out through the speakers and video through its own HDMI out which then runs to my TV. It works for my DVD player, so I just can't figure out why it wont with my laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are right. According to their spec, it should send out audio and video to TV.
    You may be missing some configuration, either on PC or receiver.
    Sorry this is as much as I can help, HDMI on PC is something new and on this machine is available if equipped with Nvidia graphic processor only.
    I would check Sony support or the place where you got your machine.

This may be a stupid question, but are you switching inputs on you receiver to correspond with input port?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Haha, yeah, I'm switching inputs to correspond correctly. Thats why I get one or the other, audio or video, only when I'm on the correct input. I ordered it from Sony and I got the extended warranty so I'll see whats up by giving them a call. The Sony I have is a VGN-FZ290, Vista Home Premium with the NVidia 8400m GT graphics card. I'm currently running 4GB of RAM and the video memory is variable. I have VGA (I think), S-Video, and HDMI outputs for video and standard stereo audio (headphone) jack out, and HDMI should give audio also, but...read previous threads. Thanks for your help and the link to the manual
    Quote Quote