VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need to film myself in a classroom activity on Tuesday. My school rents cameras, but for two days, it would cost $120 and it would cost $180 for a week. May as well buy one if I am spending that much.

I have an older Mac Pro Quad Core and I am running 10.6.7 and Final Cut Studio 2 (I bought FCS3 not too long ago, but have not installed it yet).

I'd like to go HD (I think) and spend less than $500.

What I want to do is be able to film stuff, dump it into Final Cut Pro and make standard definition DVDs. I know how to capture video using a Canopus ADVC-100 and make DVDs from the resulting DV files, but from what I am seeing, cameras record in MTS and I'd need to do a log and transfer? Would I transfer to ProRes and make my DVD as usual out of that file? I have never actually captured video directly from a video camera, just VHS through the Canopus.

I'd shoot mostly home movies and the occasional live band. Would a camera like either of these be good for my needs?

Sony HDR-CX160 LI
    Canon - VIXIA HF R21

Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you actually want to buy a camera, first check with your local public access channel and university/colleges to see if their AV departments can help you film your class.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie View Post
    Unless you actually want to buy a camera, first check with your local public access channel and university/colleges to see if their AV departments can help you film your class.
    I did and I was able to get one loaned to me for free. I just have to buy mini-DV tapes.

I have no idea what that other link I found on the college's website was, but that one said it was $180 a week to rent one, which I didn't want to do for obvious reasons.

That said, I WOULD like to buy one at some point, so my questions above still apply
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like the Samsungs (about $200-300) as they record in AVCHD and can readily be converted to ProRes or Apple Intermediate Codec; the latter works fine in FCP. ProRes is a bit larger but is compatible with more NLEs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is your top budget?

If you can stretch to ~$800, the Panasonic TM900 is the sweet spot for low light and 60p plus pro audio features.
    Last edited by edDV; 20th Oct 2011 at 17:10.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    What is your top budget?

If you can stretch to ~$800, the Panasonic TM900 is the sweet spot for low light and 60p plus pro audio features.
    That may be doable. Probably wouldn't want to go more than that. Was hoping to go a little less, though I know I will sacrifice quality if I do obviously

As for the codec stuff, is Apple Intermediate or ProRes better or are they about the same? I'd assume I'd convert to that and edit as usual in FCP, then export to compressor to make my .m2v files for DVDSP?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is your top budget?

do you know if it's real 60p or 30p with doubled frames like so many others?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    What is your top budget?

Full 60p @ 28 Mbps but was released pre AVCHD v2.0. The codec is proprietary.
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-HDC-TM900-Camcorder-Review/Compression-and-Media.htm
    http://www.panasonic-video-converter.com/category/panasonic-video-converter/convert-pa...0-avchd-files/
    Last edited by edDV; 21st Oct 2011 at 04:43.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  9. [QUOTE=aedipuss;2115074]
    no, it's not a Lumix , it really shoots at 60p

just avoid to shoot with setting pcm audio (for post-process compatibility), always prefer the ac3 audio

PS: it's a nice camcorder

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    get a Sony HDR cx1100 refurbished straight from Sony 330$ sonystyle.com
    Quote Quote