VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I use MacTheRipper to rip DVD movies into a smaller Main Feature Video_TS folder. When the finished file is smaller than 4.7 GB, I sometimes try to burn the entire folder onto a DVD-R with Toast, to make an almost ordinary DVD playable in all DVD players.

But always when the burning process is almost completed, I get an error message like this:

The drive reported an error:
    Sense Key = ILLEGAL REQUEST
    Sense Code = 0x21, 0x02
    BUFFER UNDERRUN

I have a PowerBook G4, 1.5 GHz with a Matshita UJ-825 drive.

What is the problem? Is there anything I can do with this? The DVD recordings work absolutely fine, until the very last minutes of the movie. Then the picture freezes. If I'm lucky, it freezes after the rolling titles have begun, because they are not important for me, and I can still use the recording.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This may not have anything to do with why that error is happening, however I suggest the following two tips:

1. Be sure Buffer Underrun Prevention is turned on in Toast. It is in the Advanced tab of the Recorder Settings window that appears after you click the burn button.

2. Be sure you've turned off any sleep modes in the Energy Saver panel of System Preferences.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you very much for the tips. I didn't know about the feature in Toast, I'll try that the next time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What brand and kind of media are you using?

When manufacturing media one of the biggest challenges is to get an even spread of the dye across the entire DVD especially the outer edge of the disc.

You can set the output size on DVD2OneX to 4200-4300MB so you will not be using the very end of the disc.

Anyway buy only high quality media and you would be able to use the full capacity of the DVD without problems. Ridata or Traxdata by Ritek are good quality at a good price. If you want the best buy Taiyo Yuden (they are pricey but worth every penny). Buy from a reputable shop with a good return policy because there are fakes around.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I usually buy the cheapest media I can find. Now I use Verbatim 4X DVD+R. I didn't know that was critical. I'll try something better next time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    stay away, far away, from cheap media.

Prodisc are also very good, my friend uses them with no problems (and they will be my next spindle).

www.rima.com has good prices. Prodisc 4x 100-spindle is $32.

dk
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    prodisc has always given me problems.... but then again maybe they have become better media.

Ritek or TDK is what I use $43 for a pack of 100 pretty cheap and excellent media.

Per the buffer underrun, is this an external drive? if so how is it hooked up? USB? Firewire?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try decreasing the burn speed. Buffer underruns occur when the hard drive your source material is on can't keep up with the burner's speed. Try not doing any hard drive-intensive operations while the burning is going on, and decreasing the burn speed if necessary. If available (not always the case) buffer underrun prevention is a checkbox visible when you hit the 'Record' button in Toast, and go to the 'advanced' tab of the window you are presented with. There, you will see checkboxes for simulation mode, buffer underrun prevention and others. If you are able to, check that buffer underrun prevention box. If it is greyed out, just decrease the burning speed and avoid using that hard drive while during the burn. As for media, it doesn't really have anything to do with this particular problem, but for compatibility with different DVD players and drives, I would recommend using Ritek/RiData media, as they're the most compatible of all the ones I've tried, and sell for very competitive prices. Also, they are a manufacturer, not a distributor (actually, RiData is a Ritek-exclusive distributor), like most other ones mentioned, so their quality is much more consistent. Distributors can change manufacturers from one batch to the next, so compatibility and quality are much less consistent.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As for media, it doesn't really have anything to do with this particular problem

Actually it does have everything to do with his problem. Bad media can give you a buffer underrun error in OSX.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25750

RIDATA, TRAXDATA and ARITA are trademarks of Ritek Corporation.

TRAXDATA are premium quality discs.

RIDATA are high quality discs.

ARITA are budget discs.

Ritek USA only imports RIDATA discs. Ritek Europe imports the 3 trademarks.
    Quote Quote