VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. [Removed original post]
    Last edited by Tri P; 14th Oct 2021 at 10:46.
    Quote Quote  
  2. RemoveSpotsMC()
    Quote Quote  
  3. [Removed original post]
    Quote Quote  
  4. So, in order to remove 3 (oops, 4) dust specks you are willing to completely destroy the image ? No thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. [Removed original post]
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you look at the split image below at full size, you will see that you've wiped out most of the image texture and a good deal of the saturation. Those are chalk lines, not compression artifacts. What appears to be blocky noise in some of the flatter areas of the original is actually film grain -- which resolves properly as film grain when played in motion. You are starting with a perfectly fine (probably professionally restored) image and wiping out the artistry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	compare.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	25485
    Quote Quote  
  7. [Removed original post]
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Tri P View Post
    I see but don't like film grain at all.
    Well, now we're into philosophy, not viewing experience. Best of luck
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not keep the grain? I think it's quite natural to the video. That encoded version of yours is awful - way too blurry/soft for my liking. And I don't even know what "dots" you're talking about.

If it's only a spot or two, do it manually with an editor. Otherwise, you would need brutal methods to remove them that, most of the time, do more damage than good to the video (unless you want to buy professional software that costs the price of a several vehicles...)

At any rate, if you must remove the grain, try Neat Video. It's not free, but very affordable and you can download a trial version. When you learn how to set up a correct noise profile (watch the online tutorials) you can clean up much noise, including film grain, with minimal detail loss. Personally, I like a little film grain. Looks kind of cinematic. Hope you don't mind that I left some.
    Image Attached Files
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tri P View Post
    What's the best way to change audio PAL to NTSC without changing pitch?
    There is no "PAL audio" or "NTSC audio". The only thing you have to consider here is that if you change the speed of the video (fps), then you proportionally must change the speed of the audio to remain in sync. Audacity, and other software, can easily do this.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I've seen your videos now. I agree that the "after" video is over processed. I'd try stepping MCTemporalDenoise() down to medium. That will retain a lot more detail. Of course, there will still be a little noise. You might also want to address the oversharpening halos which have been exacerbated by your processing. You can use something like DeHalo_alpha(rx=2.5, ry=2), or maybe rx=3.

And I also believe those white spots on the roadway between about 1 second and 4 seconds are supposed to be there. At least, they were on the cells used to make the film. You can tell this by the fact that they repeat several times, 8 frames apart. I'd be careful about using RemoveSpots() or RemoveSpotsMC(). For example, there's a shot where you can see a blue wall outside the moving car's window, starting about 27 seconds into the video. Both of those spot removers remove almost all the joint lines and blemishes on the wall, thus reducing the perception of forward motion.
    Last edited by jagabo; 1st Jun 2014 at 21:11.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Tri P View Post
    Thanks,that removed most of them.What's the best way to change audio PAL to NTSC without changing pitch?
    MeGUI has options for audio speedup/slowdown in it's audio encoder configuration. With and without pitch correction. It's possibly best to do it without pitch correction as there's a good chance it was "sped up" to PAL without pitch correction in the first place.

You'll need to use the current version of MeGUI for pitch correction though (or create your own script) as the pitch correction options weren't working properly for a while. According to the changelog that's now been fixed (version 2499 or higher).
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/363642-Slow-PAL-DVD-AC3-Audio-from-25FPS-to-23-976F...=1#post2319052
    Quote Quote  
  13. [Removed original post]
    Last edited by Tri P; 14th Oct 2021 at 10:47.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Tri P View Post
    About the spots,is there any milder method to remove them?
    I don't know of any. It might be possible to modify RemoveSpots() to make it less sensitive -- but then more spots you want to remove will be let through.

You can always filter different parts of the video differently. Then use a filter like ReplaceFramesSimple() to specify which filtered video to use.

Originally Posted by Tri P View Post
    I don't know if the same filter should remove black and white spots but they are there maybe not in this sample so much.Here's this sample as you can see there's a lot more of them here:
    Yes, RemoveSpots(MC) removes both black and white spots. They worked very well on that clip. There were a few spots that persisted for more than one frame so they were not removed.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!