VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. In my quest to get the best dvd conversion I can I have amassed many vcr's and using switch boxes to the capture hardware (Computer or dvd recorder) is a pain.

I suddenly realised that I could chain them all together, vcr1>2>3>4>5 but am guessing this would result in vcr1 ouput being affected by any filtering vcr's 2,3,4 would do, I also plan to use a avt8710 in the chain and a es10 as a passthrough. My best in my experiments is the panny 1980 through avt 8710 and es10 to a jvc dvd recorder m100.
    The worst is the other panny s vhs models pvs 7670/9670 and most suprising is the toshiba w522 and sharp vc-h810.

I am always interested in opinions from here - what do you guys think about this idea.

The reason I want so many vcr's is I have so many vhs tapes , over a 1000 from many different sources, and boy do they look different/better if using a choice of vcr's, and I do not want to do an a/b comparison as I only have one vhs to play at a time, but merely so I can play the tape on each vcr without using a switchbox, as each vcr would be thru put thru the chain.

My vcr's range from a jvc 9911, humble sharpvc=h810/toshiba w522/panasonic pv9453 basic vcr's to mitsibushi HS u760 and panny ag 1980 (Which has suprised me in its great playback)

Thanks and yes my sanity has been verified (but was the verifyer sain !)
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    An A/B comparison needs an A/B switch. In your case it may be an A/B/C/D/E switch. That's a lot of cables.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Just to further mess with your head, apparently different tapes will react differently in various VCR. IOW, one VCR may be best for 70-90% of your tapes, but another one may be best for the other 10-30%.

Daisy-chaining several different units together may not have an adverse effect, but my experiments with this showed that is some cases, it definitely does.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes your first paragraph is exactly why I am doing this and your 2nd paragraph is why it may not work.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most VCRs have automatic brightness/black level built in. This will mess with your video levels. You could use the RF outputs to help you decide by connecting them all to an 8 way RF splitter (don't worry, it will act as a combiner) then connect the input terminal of the splitter (when used as a combiner, that will be the output) to a regular TV. Then by turning them on only one at a time you can preview each one without having to swap cables.
    Quote Quote  
  6. How does RF output compare to RCA phono or S Video though for accuracy?-thanks-this is very informative.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by victoriabears
    How does RF output compare to RCA phono or S Video though for accuracy?-thanks-this is very informative.
    RF out (ch 3 or 4) is the worse, next is composite. S-Video is best but only found on S-VHS decks.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. so my original idea, to use a s video / rca switch box is my best option, as predicted I am getting strange video problems by passing through vcr's.
    Luckilly I have all the cables and switch box, I was just interested in the relatively simple idea of daisy chaining vcr's
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote