VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am creating a movie out of many video clips using Corel VideoStudio Pro X6.
    After inserting some 75 clips, VSX6 started freezing / crashing. I thought I exceeded the Max # of minutes. But after cutting few frames at the beginning, the first video which caused the problem, worked. But subsequent files did not.
    This got me thinking...that it could be some kind of glitch in the rendering of the original file which were vob files generated from VHS and 8mm conversion to digital.
    So, today... I downloaded Prism Video File Converter Plus [which I am using for free but plan to purchase]. I converted the problem causing video clip file to mp4 and asf,
    Bang! Bang! Bang!
    Both worked fine. VSX6 did not freeze...did not crashed. I hope this might help someone facing similar situation.

http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Before you make that purchase (if you haven't already), consider the free software. A suggestion is MPEG Streamclip, which does a phenomenal job.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  3. Even the font says "spam."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    smrpix: Why did you make such a comment? Do you even know who am I?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Brainiac, thanks for the tip. I downloaded it. I will try it in a few minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by PhotoGatorVid View Post
    smrpix: Why did you make such a comment? Do you even know who am I?
    A newbie pushing a product.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    smrpix: If you are refering to me as a newbie, you are absolutely correct. Regarding pushing a product, you are wrong. My gain is only the satisfaction of contributing in a positive manner. I heartely believe it is the spirit of collaboration what drives boards such as this.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I use CVS exclusively and have done for 9 years on a computer running Windows XP SP3.
    I never had a problem with it. And it even copes with HD (albeit slowly due to computers specs).
    I'm running version X7 now, after updating from X6.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Brainiac: MPEG StreamClip is asking to install mpeg-2 component. I founded for $19.99. I am removing StreamClip.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by PhotoGatorVid View Post
    My gain is only the satisfaction of contributing in a positive manner. I heartely believe it is the spirit of collaboration what drives boards such as this.
    NCH is a company that makes its living selling unnecessary, second-rate software to rubes.

There is a lot of freeware listed on this site that will do a much better job -- as braniac has indicated. You may also want to look into Winff or some of the other ffmpeg based converters.

As Mike has pointed out, CVS should work fine with most home generated material, but it too is a third tier product.

If I mistook you for a perpetrator rather than a victim, I have indeed done you a disservice and apologize. I too heartily believe in the spirit of collaboration. Please re-read your initial post with the above information in mind and I think you will better understand my suspicions.

Welcome to the forums.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    smrpix: No harm done. I bought Movavi's video converter. It does a better job than the 2 I tried. Prims' created files in which there are pixelations or color shift. It does not do a faire conversion. I apologize if in my excitement, I might unintentionally mislead anyone.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by PhotoGatorVid View Post
    I bought Movavi's video converter.
    That's okay, after hanging around here for a while you won't make that mistake anymore either.

Actually, in all seriousness, if its not too late and you're spending that kind of money, just pick up a copy of Vegas Movie Studio. (I'm not a shill.)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PhotoGatorVid, I never got such a request when I installed MPEG StreamClip. Perhaps it's because I have TotalMediaTheatre installed.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  14. Mpegstreamclip does indeed require the quicktime mpeg component to work with mpeg files. This is completely normal. If you haven't had to install it you either aren't working with mpeg or, as you suggest, it may have been installed by some other app.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well smrpix, you nailed it. I have Quicktime Pro installed.
    See what happens when you are sleep deprived for 10 years!

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    smrpix and Brainiac; which video format offers the best quality rendering after converting from mpeg 2?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For me, it depends on what I want to do with the footage after conversion. If editing or recompressing, I look at uncompressed avi or lagarith. If size is a concern, then I look at mp4. Your mileage may vary.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am creating a movie for my daughter's 15th birthday from selected clips and photos. Length is of great concern. But quality is of most importance.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In other words; which format preserves or improves the quality of an original clip when converting from mpeg2?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Nothing improves the quality (though you can degrade the image in ways that may improve the visual perception of quality.)

With DVD Mpeg2, there are smart rendering editors, I don't know if CVS is one of them. Vegas Movie Studio certainly is, Premiere Elements may be, I believe Pinnacle is. These will pass the mpeg files straight through with no re-encoding except where absolutely necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by PhotoGatorVid View Post
    In other words; which format preserves or improves the quality of an original clip when converting from mpeg2?
    Nothing that you've mentioned will improve the originals. Brainiac and smrpix have the right ideas: either work with lossless or use smart-rendering. Offhand I'd say you're not ready for lossless. I don't mean to imply you're a dummy, I'm just saying you don't seem to be familiar with that kind of work and likely don't have the time or patience for it. So smart-rendering and keeping the mpeg as-is as much as possible is your best bet.

Everybody has the idea that mp4 is a format. It isn't. It's a container than can accept several encoded formats. But video encoding and re-encoding is a lossy business. There are ways to make VHS and 8mm transfers look better, but it takes skill and patience. Even if done well, there are still certain losses involved when re-encoding. The problem with mpeg and h264 is that they aren't designed for editing. They are what folks call final delivery formats meaning that they aren't designed for re-processing, the exception being some of the smart rendering editors mentioned -- but I'd avoid Pinnacle. If you do get a better smart rendering editor, be aware that color correction and many other special features will undo smart rendering.

Everybody also has the idea that re-encoding low-resolution noisy VHS transfers to h264 works some kind of magic and makes VHS look like HD. Nope. Never has, never will. You get some improvement doing what Brainiac suggested, making that original transfer as pristine as you can and then carefully re-encoding to established standards.

You mentioned something about the length of the final output. How much time you can get on a DVD disc depends mostly on the original's bitrate. Low bitrates give more time but with visibly lower quality. Re-encoding takes away even more. There's no way around this. With a really long video, you can double the playing time with a dual layer disc. We have no info about your vob's and don't know what they look like, so one can only generalize at best. You also mentioned mp4. Some players won't play mp4.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Everybody has the idea that mp4 is a format.
    I stand corrected.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Brainiac and LMotlow, thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are very welcome.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!