VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I did some edits & joining with MPEG-VCR. But there are a few edits I'd like to do without having to re do everything. I saved the MPEGs as MPEG-2 Program Stream. My question is if I took the edited MPEGs & then exported them again. Would I loose quality ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MPEG-VCR only re-encodes a few frames adjacent to the cut points so you will loose little or no quality by editing something that you already edited with it compared to redoing all your edits from scratch.
    Quote Quote  
  3. So its safe to do what I want to do ? Without fear of anything then ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TheRandomOne View Post
    So its safe to do what I want to do ? Without fear of anything then ?
    Yes. As long as you use smart encoding and don't make your new cuts in virtually the same spot where you made your previous cuts, no frames will have been re-encoded more than once in the new mpg file.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Okay so this weekend I finished some more edits with MPEG-VCR. My last question is. If later on I want to add in stuff during any of the main videos & any section of the main videos. I should be fine & not loose quality in the future right ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TheRandomOne View Post
    Okay so this weekend I finished some more edits with MPEG-VCR. My last question is. If later on I want to add in stuff during any of the main videos & any section of the main videos. I should be fine & not loose quality in the future right ?
    You can't add a clip to your main video unless its video and audio characteristics match the main video. If a clip doesn't match the existing video, it will have to be re-encoded so it does match, and it will loose some quality during re-encoding. Otherwise, as I wrote previously, if you don't make changes to the main video in any spot where you previously made other edits, there will be no loss of quality in the main video itself except for a few frames on either side of the edits.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!