VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just performed a clean installation of Windows 7 64-Bit. I have a Thinkpad T420s with Intel i5 processor and 8GB RAM.

I've heard that installing codec packs is a bad idea, so I'm thinking of installing specific codecs. Which are the best ones to install on my system?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why do you need those codecs? For watching movies just download MPC-HC
    Quote Quote  
  3. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I also have Windows 7 64-bit and I can watch pretty much everything without installing a single codec. Just use VLC.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Install specific codecs for specific needs. Identify your needs then install the codecs or filters (eg. Haali or LAV splitters) you need.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's nothing inherently wrong with using codec packs. They're like any other software, works well for most, some have issues. The complainers are far more vocal online, so it skews the truth.

And some people "have" to dikk around with the settings, creating their own headaches, then blaming on the codec pack.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Codecs pack are inherently wrong since if the user isn't careful or just starting they will install all the codecs in the pack cause major conflicts,it's a lot better to install single codecs if needed for encoding or just use mpc-hc for watching videos as Atak_Snajpera has suggested.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Codec packs are better option for novice users. Most today popular codec packs are well optimized and will not create conflicts between codecs. On the other hand, novice users will manually install different codecs and create conflict between those. K-Lite (Basic, Standard) or CCCP are good codec packs that will not create problem with freshly installed sistem.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Novice users should stick with MPC-HC. Only expert users need codecs for video conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    There's nothing inherently wrong with using codec packs. They're like any other software...
    Except I wouldn't expect "any other software" to screw up your windows registry. You shouldn't need codec packs.

If you go into the Microsoft tech support site it clearly says that it is not recommended to install 3rd party codec packs. For a reason.

I'm mostly a linux user now ... I have one windows 7 partition but I rarely use it ... which I suppose tells you how much I like Microsoft. But I definitely believe them on that one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    From a troubleshooting perspective, anything that introduces MULTIPLE unknown variables is more of a mess to fix (should the need occur) than something that only introduces one or two.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Except I wouldn't expect "any other software" to screw up your windows registry. You shouldn't need codec packs.
    Which codecs screw up your Windows registry?
    Needing system codecs or the codecs in a codec pack and wanting to use them (or being able to) are two different things. I use several third party codecs regularly. ffdshow (a collection of codecs) and ReClock are used every time I watch a video. I don't "need" to use them but I want to.

Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    If you go into the Microsoft tech support site it clearly says that it is not recommended to install 3rd party codec packs. For a reason.
    Yes. To cut down on support costs. They probably also recommend you use IE and upgrade to Windows 8.

Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    I'm mostly a linux user now ... I have one windows 7 partition but I rarely use it ... which I suppose tells you how much I like Microsoft. But I definitely believe them on that one.
    I'm sure many newbies do.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by vidvidhh View Post
    I've heard that installing codec packs is a bad idea, so I'm thinking of installing specific codecs. Which are the best ones to install on my system?
    Only the ones you need. Most players are "self-contained" in that they don't require "system codecs" to play most common types of video. I use MPC-HC myself but I disable it's internal audio decoders and use ffdshow instead as that lets me use a Winamp plugin to compress the audio. I also use ReClock to play everything at 25fps as I live in PAL-land and with the TV refreshing at 50Hz it gives me a kind of "PAL film mode". I'm not sure whether it counts as a "codec" but I always install the Haali Media Splitter as some of the video conversion programs I use require it. Just install what you need......
    Quote Quote  
  13. Well, there's ffdshow. Not a codec pack, strictly speaking, but can handle just about anything you're likely to encounter.

Lots of us here use ffdshow because it's necessary for re-encodes/conversions. That along with Haali and Avisynth.

As to actual codec packs, I wouldn't. Sure, people get away with it, but some screw up their computers but good. Anyone else remember Nimo codec pack? Curse you Nimo!
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  14. I think one of the most popular codec packs, K-Lite, pretty much installs just ffdshow, Haali and MPC-HC. There's a "mega" version which installs other stuff, but I'm pretty sure the standard and lite versions don't install much else.

Still, if that's all your installing I think it'd probably be good practice to just install the individual components you need manually.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony recommends only using their own brand of expensive batteries, but im using Wasabi equivalents. They work fine.
    Quote Quote