VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. for BD lovers....Sony just announced that they will sell a BD writer for $750 on august.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/07/19/sony_blu_ray_burner/

we get a burner before a player.....and cheaper.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by lenti_75
    You can just taste the irony.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have no problem with the burner being a little overpriced. But I'm not going anywhere near it until the blanks get down to around $10

I got into the DVD backup early on but ther novelty wore off quickly. I realized it would be a lot cheaper (and easier) to just occasionally replaced a ruined disc. I will pursue a movie from time to time for the challenge. Like Planet of the Apes. But I have zero interest in backing up Blue Ray movies.

But I do want to stick a lot of my rare DVD stuff on them at DVD res to save shelf space. How long before we see authoring/conversion programs? I really don't see myself getting a burner anytime soon.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This is a 25% reduction in price from the first Blu-Ray burner I've purchased for someone else. This is the exact reason why I tried to discourage that purchase. Prices will tumble and keep tumbling while better more capable devices are continually being researched and produced. Still no sale for my personal use at this time but at this rate I can see blu-ray burning by christmas at my house.

I rarely use DVD media for media backups. I use them for what they are mainly intended for and that is data. The more data storage, the better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Dv8ted2
    Originally Posted by lenti_75
    You can just taste the irony.
    That doesn't surprise me too much. It's a BURNER, not a RECORDER.
    All a burner needs is a player drive structure plus additional writing control electronics. A settop player is going to need decoding chips, video overlay chips, various types of output (w/HDMI/HDCP licensing, etc), and a recorder's going to need those and additional encoding chips and probably input capability from a HDTV receiver (or maybe one built-in). I wouldn't doubt that the larger licensing royalties for some of those patents (HDMI, HDCP, AVC, VC-1, DD+, DTS+, etc) are what's keeping those units higher. If you took a burner or player drive and added cards to the PC to give it the equivalency of a settop player, you'd have to pay for some of that licensing in the cost of those cards, plus the decoding and playback software (though probably not as much as hardware since you're still relying on the PC's own muscle).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    for BD lovers....Sony just announced that they will sell a BD writer for $750 on august.

BD players are available last month at BestBuy and Futureshop for $1300 last month!
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Sam Ontario
    for BD lovers....Sony just announced that they will sell a BD writer for $750 on august.

BD players are available last month at BestBuy and Futureshop for $1300 last month!
    maybe in Canada, here in the States they are in PRE-order....are you sure they have them for sale ??? not that I care.... :P
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sam Ontario

maybe in Canada, here in the States they are in PRE-order....are you sure they have them for sale ??? not that I care.... :P
    Our local Best Buy store in the USA has two blu-ray disc players. A Samsung and another brand which I forget. At this point I am not really looking for one. There is a Sony that is priced the same as these others which you can pre-order for $1000.00 USD.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I went online and it says PRE order....I didn't actually went in the store.

anyway, the ideea is that the price is already falling, 25% in what...1 month or so ? if it goes like this, by christmas they will replace the regular dvd burners..... :P
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I went online and it says PRE order....I didn't actually went in the store.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7772822&type=product&productCategoryId=c...=1142289574588

Buy it today . . . or don't.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rof
    I rarely use DVD media for media backups. I use them for what they are mainly intended for and that is data.
    How do you figure that? The blanks can be used for either purpose. Thats what they are designed for.

I have used countless dvd blanks for my video captures and they work just fine. Same for data backups. They are totally interchangeable in my opinion. I don't see any difference in the application.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry. I meant to say blank dvd media are primarily used to store data such captured video, captured audio, downloaded updates, drive backups, project files etc. Media backups are a blip on the optical disc map.

These next gen medias will offer 3 - 10x the amount of storage for data and probably more once multi-layer production is perfected. Hollywood has a hard time filling 8GB. The thought of them trying to fill 50GB scares me.

I just hope the new players have a function that allows you to just watch the main movies like current dvd players. (Hit Stop Twice and then Play)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh I see ROF. Misunderstanding, gotcha
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  14. they will throw a lot of garbage on those 50Gb, espacially advertising.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    they will throw a lot of garbage on those 50Gb, espacially advertising.
    Which is exactly why I am scared. With all the junk they squeeze unto 8.5GB I can just imagine what they will do with even more extra space. I know the movies themselves will take up some of this but no where near 50GB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually I've been reading a lot online that says there are production problems with the dual layer bluray discs. Supposedly there hasn't been one released yet.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Every new technology has it's hurdles to jump.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When the movies start been recorded in HD and there are some extra audio channels added to the disc I assume it would take up lots of room on the disc, that’s why they need to have such a large capacity, right?

So the advertising would probably not increase too much.
    Live lightly, think deeply.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When the burners end up costing around 200 euros and the blanks about 5 euros, and all those limitations "solved" (HDCP, etc), then I'll jump. Of course we need cheap or freeware software too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Only as simple data files, NO AUTHORING.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldfart13
    Yep! Nero 7 supports both next generation formats.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Does Blu-Ray burner uses P-ATA interface ?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia
    Only as simple data files, NO AUTHORING.

Scott
    Apparently is WAS in Ulead DVD MovieFactory but it has been removed.

http://labs.pcw.co.uk/2006/03/ulead_removes_b.html
    Quote Quote  
  24. First Sony Blu-Ray Recorder Won’t Play Protected Blu-Ray Movies
    http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3744
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Personally I feel that burners should not ever be capable of playing the movie discs and should state this upfront on all packaging. Furthermore, the players for computers should only be able to play a special section of this next generation disc with DRM software attached that must be installed and allows you to view the movie in a lower resolution and quality format equivalent to VHS. This may prevent 1 out of 1,000,000 sales due to the thief not being able to continue stealing or the non-thief who is just paranoid with anything called Digital Rights Management.

If the corporation honestly let's you know before purchase about the capability and the capability of ripping movies is removed this will be good for all. These corporations can then stop putting a majority of their efforts into stopping thievery and can put more emphasis into the movies and extras. It would also open up profitable access to allowing the corporation to release movie in formats capable of being played on networked PCs and personal devices without the constant fear of having their livelihood ripped off and traded amongst the millions on the internet.

Great idea Sony!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    Personally I feel that burners should not ever be capable of playing the movie discs and should state this upfront on all packaging. Furthermore, the players for computers should only be able to play a special section of this next generation disc with DRM software attached that must be installed and allows you to view the movie in a lower resolution and quality format equivalent to VHS.
    May as well just stick with VHS tapes then.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by ROF
    Personally I feel that burners should not ever be capable of playing the movie discs and should state this upfront on all packaging. Furthermore, the players for computers should only be able to play a special section of this next generation disc with DRM software attached that must be installed and allows you to view the movie in a lower resolution and quality format equivalent to VHS.
    May as well just stick with VHS tapes then.
    . . . or increase Sony's profits by buying OMG a movie player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    players for computers should only be able to play a special section of this next generation disc with DRM software attached that must be installed and allows you to view the movie in a lower resolution and quality format equivalent to VHS
    Looking for some spanking, ROF?!? I really must say I admire your courage!

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ...and what about HTPC/Media Center? (Sony does those too!) Are they computers, and will be restricted to VHS quality or should they be allowed to play HD content in all its glory? If the latter, what prevents me from installing a burner and ripper too?

/Mats
    Quote Quote