VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I've read that I'm able to capture NTSC video from a "NTSC playback" PAL based VCR. If I got it right you're supposed to capture as PAL 60. Right?
    Will this show the capture in colour straight away while capturing, or will I get that through conversion later? (So far I only get black/white.)

I capture with a Pinnacle Moviebox 710, do anyone know if it's possible to capture as described above with this? I've googled Pinnacle and PAL 60 but can't find any information.

Grateful for any suggestions and tips!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've never been able to pull off capturing an NTSC tape here in PAL-Land.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I only capture PAL for PAL and NTSC for NTSC. I would never try to use a VCR that can't output the content in it's native format.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I know only that most capture cannot capture PAL 60 correctly. We have posts from time to time from gamers who want to do this and a few capture cards have been mentioned that can do this. If you search this website, you should be able to find some messages that talk about which cards can do this. You should get color if the capture is fully supported.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply. So the capture card, not the drivers nor software used, determine if you're able or not to capture PAL-60?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cyberrock View Post
    Thanks for your reply. So the capture card, not the drivers nor software used, determine if you're able or not to capture PAL-60?
    The vast majority of capture cards do not capture PAL60.

You are better off obtaining an NTSC VCR. One that outputs NTSC as NTSC.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I've read that I'm able to capture NTSC video from a "NTSC playback" PAL based VCR. If I got it right you're supposed to capture as PAL 60. Right?
    Yes.
    Will this show the capture in colour straight away while capturing, or will I get that through conversion later? (So far I only get black/white.)
    The captured file will be with colour and in NTSC format (720x480 and 29,97FPS). If you want PAL (720x576 and 25FPS) then do conversion later. Most players and TV from Europe can handle NTSC format, so conversion to PAL is not required.
    I capture with a Pinnacle Moviebox 710, do anyone know if it's possible to capture as described above with this? I've googled Pinnacle and PAL 60 but can't find any information.
    If don`t see in drivers PAL60 option, you can`t .
    Get a card based on Philips/NXP chipset to do the job with actual VCR or get a true NTSC VCR to to the job with Pinnacle card.
    Last edited by danno78; 28th Jul 2010 at 09:04.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Most of us use an NTSC VCR for this. It's the cheepast, easiest way.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dvd3500 View Post
    Most of us use an NTSC VCR for this. It's the cheepast, easiest way.
    True if you live in NTSC country and false for all others PAL citizens.
    Quote Quote  
  10. A true ntsc vcr from USA/Canada will need avoltage converter if you are in 240 Volt land, but hey isn;t the rest of europe 110?

Philips 3570H dvd recorder will capture in pal 60, and seems to create a ntsc disc, which will play on most euro dvd players, some of the older pioneer dvd recprders will also, or the international models

you might be able to pick up a panasonic AG-W1/W3 converting vcr which I have and is very good, the samsung worldwide vcr less so, on Ebay , , then you could capture in PAL.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So the capture card, not the drivers nor software used, determine if you're able or not to capture PAL-60?
    It all has to work together to be able to capture a PAL-60 videosignal.

For example:
    The well known older Hauppauge PVR 150/500 cards have PAL-60 support in their drivers since about 2006 (Driver Release 2.0.43.24054).
    But unfortunatley Hauppauge never supported (and still does not?) this video mode in their software, despite all the beggings from us European users.
    SHSPVR: Hauppauge WinTV2000 and PAL60 mode?

But it can work!
    With some trickery and alternative software, ChrisTV, i have been able to capture PAL-60 with my Hauppauge PVR150 cards, but the procedure is not so easy.
    Chris PC Support Forum: Pal Vcr With Ntsc Tapes To Pc, Capture NTSC VHS Tape to PC
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I once captured (PC) in PAL-60 with an old ATI All In Wonder and I had no problem after that converting the video into DVD NTSC format. As said, it was not like the native NTSC video. Here in PAL country, it is not possible to make NTSC VCR deck correctly work because of the 60Hz and 110 Volts supply...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I still think eBay for an NTSC VCR is the better strategy.

Or ask a Florida bound friend to buy one for $~50 and bring it back.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    I still think eBay for an NTSC VCR is the better strategy.

Or ask a Florida bound friend to buy one for $~50 and bring it back.
    What if his capture card is like mine and is PAL Only?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The shipping from US to Europe is more expensive that a 20 euro card built with SAA713x.
    All card are NTSC and PAL compatible. The sentence PAL card is for RF input where there is some differences between PAL version and NTSC version. On composite and S-Video inputs all card will work with PAL and NTSC signals. Some cards also support SECAM.
    PAL60 is a drivers issue. Actually all cards can handle in hardware PAL60 signals if the drivers alow to decode PAL encoding colour and NTSC timing in the same time. Unfortunately most drivers are limited to PAL and NTSC.
    One exception are drivers for Philips/NXP chipsets. These chipsets/drivers have worldwide support.
    Last edited by danno78; 29th Jul 2010 at 03:00.
    Quote Quote  
  16. True if you live in NTSC country and false for all others PAL citizens.
    This is very funny. I live in Germany have done since 1995. When I left the US I simply brought over an NTSC VCR.
    You can order them form Canada or the US very very cheaper, usually under 100 USD$ and have them shipped to Europe.
    Just because you are too lazy to do your homework and think about a solution that is guaranteed to work doesn't mean that it is a fact.

Voltage converters are like 10 USD$ and can be used for any US devices.

BTW: The only trick I ever got to work and the reason why I decided to go with an NTSC VCR was that I took a PAL 60 (NTSC playback on PAL) and put it into my capture card (a Voodoo TV FM at the time) I used DSCALER http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/ to view it on my screen. I think OUTPUT the video to ANOTHER PAL VCR and recorded it in REAL PAL.

It worked and it was acceptable as a a solution but the quality was poor as it is a copy of a converted copy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This is very funny. I live in Germany have done since 1995. When I left the US I simply brought over an NTSC VCR.
    That doesn't help at all if your capture card is PAL. My NTSC VCRs are still in America and I've also been here in Germany for years(7).

Originally Posted by danno78 View Post
    All card are NTSC and PAL compatible.
    Mine isn't. I have a PAL version of the Hauppauge PVR-350. I used an NTSC DVD in my
    converting DVD player(had output set to NTSC as well) and the PAL version Hauppauge PVR-350
    would not recognize the true NTSC signal.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    True if you live in NTSC country and false for all others PAL citizens.
    You can order them form Canada or the US very very cheaper, usually under 100 USD$ and have them shipped to Europe.
    Just because you are too lazy to do your homework and think about a solution that is guaranteed to work doesn't mean that it is a fact.

Voltage converters are like 10 USD$ and can be used for any US devices.

BTW: The only trick I ever got to work and the reason why I decided to go with an NTSC VCR was that I took a PAL 60 (NTSC playback on PAL) and put it into my capture card (a Voodoo TV FM at the time) I used DSCALER http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/ to view it on my screen. I think OUTPUT the video to ANOTHER PAL VCR and recorded it in REAL PAL.

It worked and it was acceptable as a a solution but the quality was poor as it is a copy of a converted copy.

dvd3500
    way

NTSC VCR bought from US + Voltage converter. Even a very cheap vcr (20 USD) with shipping to Europa (80 USD) and with another 10 USD for voltage converter will make a total of 110 USD. One note, most of the time cheap vcr will bring poor quality.

danno78 way to do deal with NTSC tape
    A new card with PAL60 Support for arround 20 Euro (25 USD), second hand will be half. The only thing that a have to do is select PAL60 insted NTSC and to follow NTSC workflow.

Your solution is beter and cheaper, mine solution is expensive and complicated.
    I must admit I'm too lazy to spend $ 110 when $ 25 is enough.

Originally Posted by hech54 View Post

All card are NTSC and PAL compatible.
    Mine isn't. I have a PAL version of the Hauppauge PVR-350. I used an NTSC DVD in my
    converting DVD player(had output set to NTSC as well) and the PAL version Hauppauge PVR-350
    would not recognize the true NTSC signal.
    Is very hard to believe that the ADC from PAL version Hauppage PVR 350 can`t decode NTSC signal from composite or S-Video. Even an ancient BT8x8 cand decode PAL and NTSC. Maybe you have done something wrong or is related with DVD player or Macrovision issue. Could be also related with Hauppage software. Third application like virtualdub should work. All my PAL TV Tuners can decode NTSC signals over composite and S-Video. Of course from RF input is another story. I never use official aplication to capture.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    [Maybe you have done something wrong or is related with DVD player or Macrovision issue. Could be also related with Hauppage software. Third application like virtualdub should work. All my PAL TV Tuners can decode NTSC signals over composite and S-Video. Of course from RF input is another story. I never use official aplication to capture.
    No. I've been playing around with this off and on for about 6 years. I'm not stupid enough to try a copy protected signal, and I've tried various capturing softwares. My PAL Hauppauge PVR-350 does NOT recognize an NTSC signal(even via S-Video)....simple as that.
    Quote Quote  
  20. The ntsc pvr 350 has a hack available from the

http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=7ea8487d8f50ff2469d7150dbc84ee1a&

but I do not know if it can be done with the pal card.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Philips-DVDR3570H-DVD-Recorder-160GB-HDD-Recorder-/130413025865?...item1e5d38da49

or find a pioneer that will capture pal 60 is the route i would go, you can then use your exisiting vcr
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    [Maybe you have done something wrong or is related with DVD player or Macrovision issue. Could be also related with Hauppage software. Third application like virtualdub should work. All my PAL TV Tuners can decode NTSC signals over composite and S-Video. Of course from RF input is another story. I never use official aplication to capture.
    No. I've been playing around with this off and on for about 6 years. I'm not stupid enough to try a copy protected signal, and I've tried various capturing softwares. My PAL Hauppauge PVR-350 does NOT recognize an NTSC signal(even via S-Video)....simple as that.
    Look here at this link:
    http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1932.0

All PAL revision of PVR 350 have support for NTSC. Some US models/revision have drivers limited to NTSC but others can handle PAL. Maybe you have a strange revision.
    Code:
    WinTV PVR  350 PAL (991)

Model 48134 Rev. I321
    Tuner Formats: PAL (B/G)
    Tuner Audio: Stereo (MSP4418)
    Video Formats: NTSC ( 443 ) PAL ( B G H I D K N ) SECAM ( L L' )
    Audio Outputs: None
    External Inputs: 3
    S-Video Inputs: 2
    Teletext: Yes (Software)
    Radio: FM
    Decoder: SAA7115

Tuner Model: Philips FM1216

EEprom Contents: 
    84 09 00 04 20 77 00 40 57 df 5f 00 
    73 05 99 00 
    84 08 00 06 06 bc 00 00 91 34 a5 
    72 07 70 
    73 09 13 5f 
    73 0a 04 15 
    73 0b 59 8c 
    72 0e 01 
    72 0f 01 
    72 10 01 
    72 11 00 
    79 e2
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Thanks for all suggestions and tips, I've solved it and to a fairly low cost I must say.

I've placed a new post about it here:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/326443-How-to-capture-NTSC-video-from-PAL-VCR-playe...68#post2021368

Kind regards,

Lars
    Quote Quote