VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so, i am making a DVD into an Xvid via meGui. I followed this guide here
    http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/MeGUI_H.264_Conversion_Guide_page1.html
    and another guide from afterdawn (they are pretty much the same thing) but this one is in more detail.

Anyhow.. the final result i get an xvid that is out of sync.. its where the audio gradually gets out of sync of the time of the movie so I cant just offset it.

I have tried using CBR/VBR/ABR and tried AC3 and MP3 (Lame) codecs for audio, as well as tried forcing DirectShow (not sure what it does but i tried it) no luck =/

How do I get the sound to work? I thought the whole purpose of demuxing and stuff that megui does was specifically to avoid this issue?

I am under the impression that it demuxes wrong or something.. because when i tell it to grab a piece 30sec long an hour and a half into the movie it starts out of sync from very begining of the 30 sec clip. I am demuxing exactly like that guide says... when i create the d2v file it demuxes the .ac3 automatically.. then sets the .vobs as video input and ac3 as audio input automatically...

Any help would be apreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I thought i had this fixed.. but nope... i was mistaken and listening too close to the begining of the video... but about 2 hours in audio plays a second or 2 faster than video...

I have tried going from LAME MP3 to AAC and from XVID to x264 and from AVI to MKV...

same results... so I think that means its not muxing that messes it up, and its not the audio/video codecs...

I think it messes up on demuxing when it pulls .AC3 out of the .VOB... anyone have any idea how to fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I really need help with this Ive been banging my head against the wall for the last couple days straight...

there has to be some sort of way to force meGui to sync audio frame by frame =/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok.. i think I maaaaaybe found the problem... looking over the .avs file... looks like its doing 29.97 fps... and NOT 29.976

is there any way to make it do 29.976? I tried editing the avs file but i get errors when I try to run it saying division by zero is not allowed =/

Im guessing 29.97 is 30000/1001 but 29.976 is 30000/1000.8 ...

weird stuff... can anyone help me with this?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure its not 23.976?There is no proper 29.976 fps,its either 29.97 or 23.976 for ntsc.If its film at 23.976 fps with pulldown then it might be encoding it at 29.97 which will cause problems like you described.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0
    Are you sure its not 23.976?There is no proper 29.976 fps,its either 29.97 or 23.976 for ntsc.If its film at 23.976 fps with pulldown then it might be encoding it at 29.97 which will cause problems like you described.
    Now I am really confused.. I double checked and you are right... its not 29.976 its 29.970030 as per the DVD Decrypter log after ripping the DVD.... so what the hell is the problem =/ that .000030 doesnt seem like significant enough to cause sync issues.

Code:
    Stream Type: MPEG2 Program
    Profile: main@main
    Frame Size: 720x480
    Display Size: [not specified]
    Aspect Ratio: 4:3 [2]
    Frame Rate: 29.970030 fps
    Video Type: NTSC
    Frame Type: Progressive
    Coding Type: I
    Colorimetry: BT.470-2 B,G*
    Frame Structure: Frame
    Field Order: 
    Coded Number: 236856
    Playback Number: 2
    Frame Repeats: 0
    Field Repeats: 0
    VOB ID: 24
    Cell ID: 1
    Bitrate: 
    Bitrate (Avg): 
    Bitrate (Max): 
    Audio Stream: 80: AC3 2/0 224
    Timestamp: 0:06:13
    Elapsed: 0:00:56
    Remain: FINISH
    FPS: 
    Info:
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I too am having major problems with the latest version of Megui and out of sync audio. If I encode a video file that is analysed as "Progressive" then I get a perfect result. If however the video file analyses as "interlaced" or "mixed interlace" then the audio progressively goes out of sync as the video progresses. The longer the video file the more out of sync it becomes. It seems that the "deinterlacing" plugins are causing this problem hence the obvious workaround is to leave them out altogether. This produces, in my view anyway, an vastly inferior video output. Coincidently, HDConvertToX seems to handle this same video without any audio sync problem and with deinterlacing correctly applied. I much prefer using the Megui however as I find the HDConvertToX interface quite crude. I should add that this audio sync problem is only of fairly recent origin as I have been producing excellent MP4 encodes with Megui for years.

I would appreciate advice on resolving this ongoing issue.

Technical information:
    Megui development version 0.3.5.8
    Video Input: PAL 720x576 16:9 DAR 25 FPS interlaced
    Video H264: PAL 720x576 16:9 DAR 25 FPS progressive
    Quote Quote