VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In Encore you can select from a format of "DVD, Blu-Ray, or Flash".

If you are working with a Canon Vixia HSF10 High Definition camcorder, is it assumed that you're going to create "Blu-Ray" ?

Im not clear on the difference between High Definition DVD and Blu-Ray as it pertains to these programs.

Is HD DVD different than Blu-Ray? And if so ... why isnt there an "HD" option in the Format?

This question applies to other programs like Premiere and Encoder as well, where you run in to telling it what type of video you have...

-P-
    Quote Quote  
  2. Regular movie DVDs do not support high definition at all. In NTSC countries they are limited to 720x480.

It's possible to burn high definition video (1280x720, 1920x1080) onto a DVD+-R and have it play in some Blu-ray players. But regular DVD players will not play these. You can only put 4.3 GB on a single layer DVD or 8.5 GB on a dual layer DVD. You can burn HD video on Blu-ray discs of course. Single layer Blu-ray will hold 25 GB, dual layer 50 GB.

HD DVD is essentially dead. It was similar to Blu-ray in that it could play high def content on DVD+-R and the larger HD DVD media.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh great.

So what youre saying is that unless someone has a Blu-Ray player, I can not take HD video and have someone actually see it?

I find that hard to believe.

The Canon Vixia comes with steps to put the movies onto disk. Are we saying that only people with Blu-Ray players can see movies made on the Canon Vixia?
    Quote Quote  
  4. No you can still make a DVD with DVD-Video (i.e. "regular DVD"), but that is a scaled down, standard definition 720x480 in the USA

If the end user has a blu-ray player or ps3, you can make a blu-ray disc (1920x1080) , and many standalone blu-ray players support AVCHD content on DVD5/9 media (called BD5/9)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Priapism
    So what youre saying is that unless someone has a Blu-Ray player, I can not take HD video and have someone actually see it?
    More or less. They could play HD material on a regular DVD+-R with their computer -- with the right software.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I edited my post above. Im referring to High Definition only.

You cant market and sell a high definition camera that will only work on BluRay players can you?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Priapism
    You cant market and sell a high definition camera that will only work on BluRay players can you?
    You can play directly from the camcorder to an HDTV via HDMI. You can convert your HD videos to SD DVD for those with only regular DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by Priapism
    You can play directly from the camcorder to an HDTV via HDMI. You can convert your HD videos to SD DVD for those with only regular DVD players.
    And thereby lose the high definition quality video, correct?

Which begs my previous question, again...
    Quote Quote  
  9. yes you would lose HD

It's a limitation of the DVD standard, not a marketing problem

Just like you need an HDTV to see HD content...
    Quote Quote  
  10. People are buying them.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Just like you need an HDTV to see HD content...
    Yet ironically, even if you have HDTV you still can't see these videos in HD.

And ironically, you dont need a BluRay player to see HD content from any other source.

See my point?

People are buying them
    Maybe because they fail to put, anywhere on any of the marketing, that these videos are only viewable in HD by BluRay players.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Priapism
    Yet ironically, even if you have HDTV you still can't see these videos in HD.

And ironically, you dont need a BluRay player to see HD content from any other source.

See my point?
    Not really

A blu-ray player is only needed if you insist on optical media as a storage medium (and that isn't even true, many can use memory sticks and SD cards)

You don't need a blu-ray player; it doesn't only work on a blu-ray player: HDMI plugged in, or HTPC, or Media players such as TviX, Popcorn Hour, WDTV, work fine

How were you expecting to watch this in HD?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the "HDV" option in Premiere? Not High Definition? Sorry im obviously new and clueless.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Priapism
    What is the "HDV" option in Premiere? Not High Definition? Sorry im obviously new and clueless.
    It's HDV format. MPEG2 based, used in HDV tape based camcorders

https://www.videohelp.com/glossary?H#HDV
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDV
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How were you expecting to watch this in HD?
    I had expected that the Gods of technology had created something called an HD DVD which plays in the vast majority of consumers homes.

As it turns out, HD DVD and BluRay are a unique technology and only the extreme minority of people who actually have BluRay players can play these videos in full quality.

Understood.

Which to me, means that these camcorders are out sooner than the market is ready for them. Im aware you can use an HDMi cable, but we all know that sharing home movies isnt done by carrying the camera over with a $90 cable everywhere you go. Its by disc.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I know, my folks don't have a PS3 (go figure ) or blu-ray, so I have to make DVD-video format for them

But blu-ray player sales are way up. I think it has to do with more HD channels and content on cable /sat , and SD material on HDTV's look horrendous

Hint: Don't buy that $90 Monster Cable. The no-name $20-30 will give you the same quality unless your connection distance is > 10 meters
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So another question then - you've got two options - HD DVD player and BluRay. Yet BluRay is the only one mentioned in the adobe products. Will a video created using this format work on an HD DVD player or do we need to knock the consumer compatability down even further?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But blu-ray player sales are way up. \
    7% of americans own a BluRay player.

I think that summarizes my point entirely.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Harris-Poll-More-Americans-own-HD-DVD-consoles-than-Bl...ray/1245431661

-P-
    Quote Quote  
  19. Nope will NOT work on HD-DVD player, they are not interoperable

BTW, HD-DVD is defunct kinda like betamax...
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Priapism
    But blu-ray player sales are way up. \
    7% of americans own a BluRay player.

I think that summarizes my point entirely.
    Yep, but sales of stand alone units are way up (not including ps3 which inflates the #'s), despite the recession and economic climate

According to market research firm NPD, sales of Blu-ray players has increased 72 percent in the last year, fueled by falling prices and growing consumer awareness.
    http://news.digitaltrends.com/news-article/19899/blu-ray-player-sales-rising-as-prices-fall

But a big % increase of a small amount ....is still a small amount
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BTW, HD-DVD is defunct kinda like betamax...
    Really? Where are you getting this information from?

Look at the search results for this generic Google search "How many people own BluRay"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+many+people+own+bluray&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

* Harris Poll: More Americans own HD DVD consoles than Blu-ray ...
    * More Americans own HD DVD consoles than Blu-ray ...
    * Blu-ray Adoption Still Sluggish, HDTV Sales Up - HotHardware
    * Slashdot Story | Blu-ray Adoption Soft, More Still Own HD DVD
    * More Americans own HD DVD right now than the 'winning' format, Blu-ray.
    * World gives Blu-ray the thumbs down
    * Blu-ray Adoption Soft, More Still Own HD DVD - DCEmu Forums:: The ...
    * More Americans own HD DVD right now than the "winning" format, Blu-ray. ...
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Whatt is the HDV option? Same as BluRay?
    Quote Quote  
  23. By "defunct" I mean no one makes HD-DVD players or media anymore (or betamax). If you want to invest your time into that format, go ahead....

HDV is not the same as blu-ray, read the glossary and links above
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Consumer HD camcorder behavior

- Most users save video files on flash ram or copy to DVDR.
    - Few edit
    - Few make a DVD (standard def) even though software often ships with the camcorder.
    - Fewer still make a Blu-Ray disc.

- Of those that edit (small minority) few author to Blu-Ray. Instead they export to AVCHD format on DVDR-5 or 9 (dual layer) that can play as a clip in some Blu-Ray players, PS3 or some media players with attached DVD drive. Some that want to display from the web encode to flash. Others convert to MPeg2, WMV-HD, Divx HD, Xvid HD, etc.

Maybe half or more buy these camcorders with no idea how the video will be used.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Priapism
    In Encore you can select from a format of "DVD, Blu-Ray, or Flash".

If you are working with a Canon Vixia HSF10 High Definition camcorder, is it assumed that you're going to create "Blu-Ray" ?

Im not clear on the difference between High Definition DVD and Blu-Ray as it pertains to these programs.

Is HD DVD different than Blu-Ray? And if so ... why isnt there an "HD" option in the Format?

This question applies to other programs like Premiere and Encoder as well, where you run in to telling it what type of video you have...

-P-
    experiences shows that the Blue ray data rate is much more than Hd-dvd so itn shows the qulality
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Maybe half or more buy these camcorders with no idea how the video will be used.
    It's always been the case.

I'm still trying to decide what to do with my 10+ year old DV tapes!

I certainly don't have time to watch them.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  27. experiences shows that the Blue ray data rate is much more than Hd-dvd so itn shows the qulality
    As a compressionist on several Studio HD DVD and BD titles I can say without question that statement is not true.... At those bitrates using advanced codecs like VC-1 and AVC, its impossible for the eye to see a difference. The eye won't be able to tell a difference between a bitrate of 25mb/s and 40 mb/s with a studio grade encoder and a experienced compressionist.
    Quote Quote  
  28. @Priapism

Page 10 of the manual for your camcorder tells you how to playback HD video on other devices:

1. Take the memory card to a AVCHD compatible TV set or HDD or DVD recorders or
    2. Create AVCHD disc, play back in Blu-ray player.

I read this from the manual for this camcorder on Canon's web site.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videopoo
    experiences shows that the Blue ray data rate is much more than Hd-dvd so itn shows the qulality
    As a compressionist on several Studio HD DVD and BD titles I can say without question that statement is not true.... At those bitrates using advanced codecs like VC-1 and AVC, its impossible for the eye to see a difference. The eye won't be able to tell a difference between a bitrate of 25mb/s and 40 mb/s with a studio grade encoder and a experienced compressionist.
    The defunct HD-DVD optical and Blu-Ray optical formats used the same video codecs (MPeg2, h.264 and VC-1). The difference was the single layer capacity. HD-DVD had 15GB layers, Blu-Ray has 25GB layers.

Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  30. Code:
    The defunct HD-DVD optical and Blu-Ray optical formats used the same video codecs (MPeg2, h.264 and VC-1). The difference was the single layer capacity. HD-DVD had 15GB layers, Blu-Ray has 25GB layers.
    True, but the poster indicated BD has the potential to sustain better quality because it absorbs a higher bitrate ceiling. 29+/- vs 40+/-
    Quote Quote