VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I successfully demuxed, edited the audio stream then remuxed an MKV file, using AVIdemux. But none of my video converters will recognize the file that MediaInfo reports to be encoded with HEVC (High Efficiency Video Encoding), CBR 3000 kbps, 25 fps. The codec ID is V_MPEGH/ISOHEVC. Media Player Classic plays the file OK on my PC. I tried converting the file to a DVD compilation (VOB, IFO, BUP), using ConvertXtoDVD (v5) and AVS Video Converter and the finicky AVStoDVD, but none support the file.

XMediaRecode is able to convert the file to AVI that ConvertX will recognize, but in doing so the loss of video quality is unacceptable to me. Is there an converter that can burn the movie to DVD disc, supporting an HEVC encoded file?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD is not HEVC , and HEVC is not yet widely supported
    All DVD converters will convert to MPEG 2 for DVD
    Your best option is to covert / transcode the file to something like h264 encoding
    Inside an mp4 wrapper
    Avidemux can do this for you, so can several other programs
    Before trying to author a DVD
    Last edited by theewizard; 4th Jul 2016 at 00:17.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Why not convert to dvd mpeg2 with xmedia recode?

But you will always lose video quality by reconverting it. Especially if it's in HD quality.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I converted the file to AVI and also to MP4 (using H.264) with XMediaRecode at the same bitrate then compared the two. The AVI copy was pixilated in action scenes. The MP4 file was much better and acceptable. Thanks for your kind response. I visited VSO's site and read that they are working on a H.265 for ConvertX.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Djard View Post
    I converted the file to AVI and also to MP4 (using H.264) with XMediaRecode at the same bitrate then compared the two. The AVI copy was pixilated in action scenes. The MP4 file was much better and acceptable. Thanks for your kind response. I visited VSO's site and read that they are working on a H.265 for ConvertX.
    Did you check the output resolution and try raising the bitrate?

Just for fun I tried converting an animated short film in an MKV container from 1920x824 HEVC with AAC audio to DVD-compatible MPEG-2 and AC3 audio using the DVD Player (Standalone) and DVD Player (VOB) presets. The video was very blocky. I found XMediaRecode uses a very low resolution by default (352x288 PAL quarter D1) rather than full D1 (NTSC 720x480 or PAL 720x576).

After setting the encoding parameters in the Audo and Video tabs, I went to the Filter/Preview Tab and set the following:

Video Size: 720x480
    Scaling Mode: Bilinear
    Dithering Algorithm: Auto
    Aspect Ratio: 16:9
    Zoom: Letterbox

The conversion was decent looking, but there were a number of P-STD buffer underflow errors near the end of the movie during authoring with Muxman. I then tried IFOEdit for authoring since it is very permissive, and got a playable DVD in spite of similar errors.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, I did set the bitrate and resolution to the source file.

You got IFOEdit to work? Wow! After many hours of following nebulous guides and trying various options, I gave up on it, thinking it was a failed project. What can I offer you for the steps you used to make this app work?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I did set the bitrate and resolution to the source file.

You got IFOEdit to work? Wow! After many hours of following nebulous guides and trying various options, I gave up on it, thinking it was a failed project. What can I offer you for the steps you used to make this app work?
    I have been using IFOEdit to create menuless DVDs for somewhere around 10 years. It isn't that hard.

Create a DVD compliant VOB with MPEG-2 video and AC3 audio using XMedia Recode or some other program.
    Open that VOB in VOBEdit and demultiplex it into a m2v file and an AC3 file.
    Open IFOEdit and click on "DVD Author" in the menu bar. The "DVD Author/Multiplex Dialog window appears.
    Click the button next to the "Video" input box and import the m2v file.
    Click the button next to the "Audio" input box and import the ac3 file. Enter a delay in milliseconds if you have one, Select the language from the drop down list under the delay box.
    If there are .sup subtitles available, click the button next to the "Subpicture" box and import the sup files.
    Click the button beside the Destination box and choose a folder to hold the authored video.
    Click OK and wait.

I haven't added chapters in a long time. I used Cuttermaran to generate them.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I did set the bitrate and resolution to the source file.

HEVC = high efficiency video codec = LOTS of compression high quality with lower bitrate

when transcoding to anothe format you need to increase the bitrate much higher than the bitrate used by hevc
    2 or 3 times the bitrate to maintain quality at the same resolution
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you for the steps regarding use of IFO Edit and also the info about recoding HEVC encoded video: I was under the impression that increasing bitrate would not improve video quality, but then I was not considering HEVC. Building a website from scratch seems a breeze compared to video editing...complex stuff. Again, thank you sooooo much.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can not improve a poor source by simply increasing bit rate and recoding
    But when transcoding aka changing encoding format ,
    To maintain quality of the source in the new format you must use the corresponding bit rate needed by the chosen codec in your case avi xvid
    HEVC to xvid/dvx increase bit rate
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    You can not improve a poor source by simply increasing bit rate and recoding
    But when transcoding aka changing encoding format ,
    To maintain quality of the source in the new format you must use the corresponding bit rate needed by the chosen codec in your case avi xvid
    HEVC to xvid/dvx increase bit rate
    djard merely said the DivX/XVid conversion was unacceptable quality. He said nothing about trying to improve on the source. It is really amusing when an obviously illiterate person like you is pedantic.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There you are attacking me again, you are nothing if not redundant and predictable
    He said he set the bit rate and resolution the same as source when encoding to the dvx file and was disappointed at the low quality
    He did not compensate for the difference in compression rates and the need for a higher bit rate when using dvx codec
    He responded that he thought increasing bit rate would not improve quality
    I merely clarified the point, that source can not be improved, but the right bit rate is needed when transcoding to maintain the available quality
    Last edited by theewizard; 8th Jul 2016 at 12:31.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    He said he set the bit rate and resolution the same as source when encoding to the dvx file and was disappointed at the low quality
    He did not compensate for the difference in compression rates and the need for a higher bit rate when using dvx codec
    You sure do like to repeat yourself. This is the third time you wrote this.

Djard understood the first time, which you would realize if you were not illiterate.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Jul 2016 at 12:36.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Sorry to be such a poor student, but do I understand correctly that while video quality cannot be improved by increasing the video bitrate, some increase is required when recoding H.265 to H.264, such as "2-3 times," for parity?

For example, to convert a stream encoded with HEVC at 3000 Kbps in an MKV container to H.264 in MP4, I would need to increase the bitrate to, say, 9000 Kbps? Of course I would retain all the other parameters, such as resolution, etc. The H.264 in a MP4 container is supported by ConvertXtoDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i don't know the exact number, but i think HEVC to H264 is more like 1.5 times
    i dont think 3 times is needed
    going to Xvid would need 3 to 4 times bitrate increase

somebody with more experience comparing HEVC to H264 will possibly post a more accurate figure
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to be such a poor student, but do I understand correctly that while video quality cannot be improved by increasing the video bitrate, some increase is required when recoding H.265 to H.264, such as "2-3 times," for parity?

For example, to convert a stream encoded with HEVC at 3000 Kbps in an MKV container to H.264 in MP4, I would need to increase the bitrate to, say, 9000 Kbps? Of course I would retain all the other parameters, such as resolution, etc. The H.264 in a MP4 container is supported by ConvertXtoDVD.
    Frequently it isn't possible to give an exact answer to the question of what bit rate to use for a given conversion. It is almost always a judgement call made on the basis of previous experience and a subjective, personal evaluation of quality in the converted file. Going from HEVC to H.264 might require 1.5 time the bit rate or twice the bit rate, depending on the source and the encoding options used.

Encoders cannot distinguish compression artifacts and noise from detail and movement. This means converting a noisy, bit rate-starved, artifact-ridden version of a video requires a using higher bit rate to remain close to the original quality than converting a pristine version of the same video would.

DVD and Blu-ray have an official spec defining the upper limit on allowed bit rates as well as constraints on size placed on them by the optical media that needs to be used. Having a spec makes it easier to figure out what bit rate to use because so many of your choices are controlled by the spec.
    Quote Quote  
  17. That helps and makes sense. Thank you very much.
    Quote Quote