VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. I am trying to find out of there ever was a consumer camcorder that would follow one's movements. And to be more specific, and to use an example, say a camcorder was mounted on a tripod and was around 15 ft in front of a couch and there were two people sitting on the center of the couch but would move a few feet each way. Has there ever been a camcorder that would slightly follow the movement of the people on the couch?

I used to own a camcorder that I think this happened with once, or someone was playing a trick on me. I can't remember the make or model of the camcorder, but if I had to guess, I think it was a Panasonic. I do know it was a 3CCD, whatever that is, and it was bought new in Jan. or Feb. of 2006 for around $300 or $400.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Some webcams have tracking features. Typically what they do is output a smaller window that follows motion over the full CCD. For example, they might have a 1280x960 CCD and output a 640x480 portion that follows any motion.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This was definitely not a webcam. I'm almost positive it was a Panasonic. I also can tell you it recorded to a mini DV tape and the format of the video that it would export to was .avi.

And I did a quick search of movement tracking with camcorders and found one that did, but it was one that actually had a motor that moved it around. In this case, the movement would have been very slight and done from inside the camcorder. In other words, the camcorder itself would not be moving, only something inside of it.

This is the security camera I was referring to I found through a search;

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/motion-tracking-camera.html

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some years ago I did see a motorized tracking device that you could mount a camcorder on (with the motorized tracker mounted on a tripod). The person to be tracked carried a small transmitter, and receivers on the tracker turned the tracker to keep it aimed at the transmitter. As I recall it was designed to be used by people doing presentations who might be walking around a stage. It kept the camera aimed at them, without having to have a cameraman. But I don't recall who made it. I remember what it looked like; a box in the middle with two arms (2 feet long or so) out to the sides to triangulate on the transmitter.

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm also looking for a quality camcorder, which will be my first independent camcorder purchase. Before this, I just used the family camera. It worked well enough for awhile, but now just lacks the abilities to cover what I want to do with my movies. I have searched google (I am now actually), so no need to tell me to go do that; I'm posting here to just get some good firsthand advice from some of the experienced people in this subreddit, as I do not know much about the specs of any of these camcorders.

My goal is to purchase the camera and then eventually start buying audio equipment to expand my arsenal of equipment. However, I just need to make sure that the camcorder I get will be compatible with the things I need to do the things I want! For instance, I definitely want a camcorder that is compatible with some type of external microphone. I'm literate enough to read when the specs say that a camcorder is compatible with an external microphone, but I Just want to make sure I'm not missing some essential detail before I purchase.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Anater View Post
    I just need to make sure that the camcorder I get will be compatible with the things I need to do the things I want!
    It would help if you would be more specific about the things you want -- what kind of videos you are trying to make. Also your budget.
    B&H can give you a good feel for what's available: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/Camcorders/ci/1820/N/4294548420
    Quote Quote