VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

I have slingbox 350 and Im trying to connect my sat receiver to tv and slingbox. There is not any component output n my sat receiver so I bought hdmi to component and hdmi splitter. I tried everything and nothing. 720p= only audio 1080p= only audio. The only resolution that works with video and audio is 576p . Also with 1080i I get video and audio with lines check the img below

Is there anyone can help me to fix 1080i video?

HDMI to Component that Im using:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00622MA6W

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The HDMI to component converter in the link supports standard TV broadcast resolutions up to 1080i, but not 1080p, so that would explain why there is no picture using 1080p. As for 1080i and 720p...

Have you verified that the HDMI to component converter works by connecting it to an HDTV to see if you have a picture for 720p and 1080i input?

If the converter is working properly, then there perhaps the Singbox is not set up correctly for HD video. I read a few user comments on Amazon, one of which hints that there could be an HD/SD quality setting for the Sling box that controls resolution. Did you see anything like while setting up your Singbox? Unfortunately I haven't found a printed user manual I could download and check for such a setting, only the basic Sling quick start video on YouTube, which doesn't go into much detail.

[Edit] I just found this link, which discusses technical requirements for streaming HD video, a fast CPU for H.264 decoding and at least 4,000 Kbps upload speeds. Did you meet those requirements?
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Aug 2014 at 09:28. Reason: correct an error
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The HDMI to component converter in the link supports standard TV broadcast resolutions up to 1080i, but not 1080p, so that would explain why there is no picture using 1080p. As for 1080i and 720p...

Have you verified that the HDMI to component converter works by connecting it to an HDTV to see if you have a picture for 720p and 1080i input?

If the converter is working properly, then there perhaps the Singbox is not set up correctly for HD video. I read a few user comments on Amazon, one of which hints that there could be an HD/SD quality setting for the Sling box that controls resolution. Did you see anything like while setting up your Singbox? Unfortunately I haven't found a printed user manual I could download and check for such a setting, only the basic Sling quick start video on YouTube, which doesn't go into much detail.

I tried directly from sat receiver ->HDMI to component-> TV and I get only video no audio

No I ddnt see anything when setup slingbox
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tko4 View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

I tried directly from sat receiver ->HDMI to component-> TV and I get only video no audio

Audio but no video with the TV and video but no audio with the Slingbox? That is unexpected. Is there any chance that the RCA audio cables aren't connected/loose, or the audio on the TV is muted?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Audio but no video with the TV and video but no audio with the Slingbox? That is unexpected. Is there any chance that the RCA audio cables aren't connected/loose, or the audio on the TV is muted?
    Ok let me explain

When I use only hdmi to component converter I get HDCP error. Today received HDMI Splitter and works with hdmi to component converter.

Now when I connect directly sat receiver to TV without Slingbox I get video but no audio. When I use slingbox I get no video signal but audio works for 720p.

For 1080i only audio and crap video check the img n top
    For 1080p get this error "the connected video signal is not supported" and audio works
    For 576p everything s working

Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by tko4 View Post
    Did you connect the red/white audio cables too? Is your TV set up to get audio from the RCA audio inputs?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Did you connect the red/white audio cables too? Is your TV set up to get audio from the RCA audio inputs?
    Yes everything connected correctly. But I dont care about the tv because I have hdmi splitter my problem is slingbox. SD quality working but I want HD thats why I bought the converter. I dont know why I have this crap video (img n top) only for 1080i

Do you think the problem is the converter?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got a cup of coffee so I hope my comprehension will improve. Thanks for the additional information about your setup.

Yes, I asked you to try connecting the HDMI to Component converter directly to the TV to see if the converter might be malfunctioning. If you had a watchable picture on the TV using the HDMI to component converter with 720p and 1080i output from the sat box, then that would tend to rule out the converter as the source of your problem. I can't explain why there was no audio on the TV, since there was audio using the Slingbox and you are certain the audio cables were securely connected and the TV was set up for RCA audio input.

HDMI itself can be problematic. Sometimes equipment needs to be turned on in a particular order to resolve HDMI handshaking problems. Most people leave their HDMI spliters and their video converters plugged in all the time. Try turning on the the sat box first with the Singbox or TV last and then the opposite to see if it makes a difference.

The product description for the HDMI to component converter posted on Amazon lists the following HDMI Input resolutions: 480P@60Hz, 576P@50Hz, 720P@50/60Hz, 1080i@50/60Hz. 1080p isn't listed, which means it can't accept a 1080p HDMI signal. At least the "the connected video signal is not supported" error message is now explained.

Sling's stated minimum requirements for streaming video are 2,000 Kbps upload speeds, but for HD video they should be higher. The article I linked to in first my post suggested 4,000 Kbps. If you have 4,000 Kbps upload speeds or higher, I would suggest writing to Sling support to see if there is some setting you need to change for HD video. I was going to suggest posting in the AVS forums too, but I see you were already there.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Aug 2014 at 11:38.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I got a cup of coffee so I hope my comprehension will improve. Thanks for the additional information about your setup.

Yes, I asked you to try connecting the HDMI to Component converter directly to the TV to see if the converter might be malfunctioning. If you had a watchable picture on the TV using the HDMI to component converter with 720p and 1080i output from the sat box, then that would tend to rule out the converter as the source of your problem. I can't explain why there was no audio on the TV, since there was audio using the Slingbox.

HDMI itself can be problematic. Sometimes equipment needs to be turned on in a particular order to resolve HDMI handshaking problems. Most people leave their HDMI spliters and their video converters plugged in all the time. Try turning on the the sat box first with the Singbox or TV last and then the opposite to see if it makes a difference.

The product description for the HDMI to component converter posted on Amazon lists the following HDMI Input resolutions: 480P@60Hz, 576P@50Hz, 720P@50/60Hz, 1080i@50/60Hz. 1080p isn't listed, which means it can't accept a 1080p HDMI signal. At least the "the connected video signal is not supported" error message is now explained.

Sling's stated minimum requirements for streaming video are 2,000 Kbps upload speeds, but for HD video they should be higher. The article I linked to in first my post suggested 4,000 Kbps. If you have 4,000 Kbps upload speeds or higher, I would suggest writing to Sling support to see if there is some setting you need to change for HD video. I was going to suggest posting in the AVS forums too, but I see you were already there.
    Tried different order still nothing

1080i:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1908
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	26780
    Quote Quote  
  10. UPDATE

Tried with XBOX 1080i result:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1999
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	26788

Nothing with other resolution

Edit: http://answers.slingbox.com/message/102612#102612
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    UPDATE

Do you mean that you tried the XBox at 1080i with component cables connecting the XBox directly to the Slingbox, or do you mean that you connected the XBox to the Slingox via HDMI + HDMI Splitter + component converter?

It looks like others are having problems with HD video on their Slingbox too and unfortunately the Sling support rep was no help. If you were using simple component to HDMI cable, she would be right. A simple cable like she is talking about cannot work for converting an analog signal to a digital signal. ...but you are using electronics (an analog to digital converter box as well as an HDMI splitter), and in theory, that should work.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    UPDATE

Do you mean that you tried the XBox at 1080i with component cables connecting the XBox directly to the Slingbox, or do you mean that you connected the XBox to the Slingox via HDMI + HDMI Splitter + component converter?

It looks like others are having problems with HD video on their Slingbox too and unfortunately the Sling support rep was no help. If you were using simple component to HDMI cable, she would be right. A simple cable like she is talking about cannot work for converting an analog signal to a digital signal. ...but you are using electronics (an analog to digital converter box as well as an HDMI splitter), and in theory, that should work.
    Connect xbox hdmi ->in HDMI Splitter -> 1outp to TV 2outp to Component converter -> Slingbox

So there is no any solution for this ?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know if there is a solution or not. We have yet to figure out what is causing the problem.

If you can get a good picture connecting the XBox at 1080i using a direct component video connection to the Slingbox (no HDMI splitter and no video converter) then you will at least know that the the video converter, or the splitter, or the combination of the two of them, is the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I don't know if there is a solution or not. We have yet to figure out what is causing the problem.

If you can get a good picture connecting the XBox at 1080i using a direct component video connection to the Slingbox (no HDMI splitter and no video converter) then you will at least know that the the video converter, or the splitter, or the combination of the two of them, is the problem.
    I dont have component cable for xbox
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So much for that idea.

I have to go out for a while. If I think of something else, I'll post it later.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need a known good HD video source that can be connected directly to the Slingbox using a component cable to see if the Slingbox itself, or the component converter box and/or splitter is the cause of the problem.

If you cannot borrow or buy a component video cable for your XBox there are a few other options. A Blu-Ray player made before 2011 would work. One made in 2011 or later will hot have HD component video outputs. An upscaling DVD Player would work too, but only if it can upscale via component. (Many upscaling DVD players are unsuitable for this test because they only upscale via HDMI.) An HD set top box with component video connections would work too, if you have access to one. ...but from what others have posted here, it appears that boxes with SCART for SD and HDMI for HD are the norm. Other than that, I can't think of anything to try.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!