VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've recently started using MEncoder to convert my tivo extracted MPEG2 to xvid to play on my portable player.

I'm still having fun playing around with the settings and so far its been working great.

But one nagging thing about it is that it displays an error saying that it can't find a font (subtitle.ttf or something like that). I tried using the -font setting with arial.ttf but it didn't like it - it wants a FreeType font or something. I've also created \font directories everywhere trying make MEncoder find it, but so far no luck.

This doesn't prevent me for encoding so this isn't a big issue, but I'd like the error message to go away if possible.

Can someone tell me how to setup MEncoder so it find the fonts please? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Works fine here. Loads default font from mplayer/font if you don't specify anything. Otherwise -font c:\winnt\fonts\whatever.TTF works.

Then you have options like subfont-text-scale for scaling.

What build of mencoder are you using? Not all builds can load true type fonts. My older builds couldn't until I enabled it after a request.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks. I just got MEncode last week, so I thought I would have the latest version. I'll check when I get home.

I tried -font arial.ttf with the ttf in the same dir as MEncoder but it wanted FreeType, so I guess I don't have the latest version.

I'll double check the version.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing to do with latest really. I could compile a version right now and disable XviD encoding, whilst have it enabled with a 1 year old compile. Font support is basically the same thing. Then there are features like threads in XviD that were only added recently.
    Quote Quote